Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

recovery time for Laminotomy

I was planning surgery for this coming Jan 2013. I talked to my boss about coming back on lite duty, but now he has changed his mind and said he can not until i am at 100%. I am trying to find out how other peoples surgery has gone. When they were back to 100%? I know everybody recovers differently just trying to get an idea as to what I should expect. Thanks

• It might be hard to find an answer to that question posibly, Any spine surgery they opening up a can of worms nobody realy knows if surgery will fix the issue or not so very hard to say, If surgery goes as 100% as planed then i would assume soon as incision heals so could be just few weeks,

But the dr or his nurse might give a time frame they feel is good for recovery time so i would ask them and go by there opinion as there notes should help tell your job when they expect to releise you back to work 100% ,

Best of luck, Hope all goes well for you,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • bpreachersbbpreachers Posts: 147
    edited 12/21/2012 - 6:05 PM
    I just has a full laminectomy and fusion with rods from C3 - T4. Spent 6 days in the hospital, was walking by day 5 and using stairs by day 6. I am in a minerva brace and my doctor has said itbwill be 6-8 weeks before he is comfortab with my return to work. No drovong for the forst 4-6 weeks and I am not certain how long I will have to wear the brace. It is a rough surgery. I am only 28 so i have age on my side with regards to recovery. You need to talk to your doctor and find out what his expectations are. 100% is unrealistic as that CAN take months or even years to 100% recover from this.
  • I had a laminectomy at the end of 2004 with just an overnight stay in the hospital. I also never received any therapy, I kind of did my own by just walking and was back to work in 8 weeks doing heavy duty work. I was doing just fine until I re injured my back mid-2008. In retrospect I wish I never went back to doing the same kind of job, I might be OK today.
    My recovery originally wasn’t all that bad, I went from using up to 7 30MG Oxycodone a day to 1 pill the day after the surgery and nothing else, this first few weeks after the surgery I would say the back was just a little stiff was all. So if you do get a laminectomy be careful what you do to your back because the next thing is a fusion and or artificial disc that I am facing now.
  • Be careful, really depends on your job. For 30 years I worked 12 hour shifts in a factory repairing heavy equipment. Lived with back pain for years and ignored it. One day ened up in surgery for emergency decompression at L4 for cuada equina syndrome. 5 weeks later had laminectomy at same site. Few months later had a 3 level laminectomyT9-11 to remove tumor compressing spinal cord. Gait continued to deteriorate along with other neurological issues. Bounced around by Drs for a year. Last month learned I have a tumor in lower brain. No longer work. Fortunately qualified for disability. Making the most of every day. Loving my wife and my dog.