Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

18 months out and hiking the hills!

A summary of my path here: Spondy with disc lesion L5-S1, failed PLIF with infection 2 and 1/2 years ago, redo with ALIF 18 months ago.

This week I have been hiking the Lake District. I use hiking poles (Swedish ones with a deep shock absorber action) and carry a backpack. I have been able to manage the numerous slopes and muddy inclines and to keep up with my able-bodied friends!

There is no way I thought this even possible a year ago. My doctor told me that it would take 18 months for me to be quite better and 2 years to be fully recovered - at the time it seemed impossibly long.

So, my Holiday message to you all is - hang in there! Recovery is a long, slow one-day-at-a-time thing. But it happens and you CAN get back to your life!

Happy Holidays everyone

• Emily congrats on hitting a major milestone. I have always said it takes at least two years to heal from these surgeries. while the incision are healed up fine in a few weeks or so, the internal healing continues to go on. I had my shoulder rebuilt a few years back and the surgeon was honest and said it will take 2 years to get past it. He said I would see improvements over the coming 2 years gradually, which he was a 100% correct.

Now with my spine, not so lucky, as nerve damage doesn't heal. So while structurally it is correct now, the nerve damage I own. I think for most here whom still have issues following surgery, it is a matter of nerve damage, or as I also have cord damage. But I still say hope can be right around the corner, as new things come out each and everyday.

cheers to you emily for getting back your life and out enjoying it.