Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Confused! OT and PT making pain worst. 4 mths post L5/S1 fusion

Roz5382RRoz5382 Posts: 46
edited 12/21/2012 - 4:48 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello everyone,

I am post L5/S1 fusion for 4 months now. More active of recent. Did some behind the stage work and walk up and down the stairs few times a day. I have no problem with going up and down the stairs actually.

So, I have started Occupational therapy for a month as well as physio. Did a hydro yesterday. Will have the last OT next week.
Before all the exercises, I feel that I can do a bit better now in terms of walking and sitting. I was able to walk for 30 minutes and sit for 30-35 mins. Good sign that things are improving. Then I started the physio and OT, I feel that I am going backwards in terms of sitting rather than improving. But I am able to walk for a mile every morning which is really good as I was unable to do so before the surgery.
Sitting is always a problem for me. I need to get back to work but my work requires a lot of sitting around.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with getting more painful after PT and OT? I was thinking to give it a rest to OT and PT for a while. Thanks

• While therapy is one of those things we are know is going to cause additional pain for us it is a necessary evil sometimes. However if your condition is going in the wrong direction you need to speak to them about it. Don't be afraid to speak up and tell them, something is going wrong. Your goal is to win the marathon not the sprint. Do you know what type of pain your having still, is it nerve muscular or mechanical pain? It does make a difference as to what your trying to accomplish, in therapy. If the goal is to get you back to work which involves more sitting, are you able to change from a sit/stand position in your job? If so let them know and maybe they can adjust the therapy be more realistic of what you could do at work. I am not sure of what type work you do, but for instance if you answer the phone, could you stand up while answering phone at your leisure? If so maybe they can adjust so you can do that in therapy.

But most importantly let them know. Also before you scale back your therapy, please check to insure under your insurance it won't affect you in anyway as to regards of benefits if you are on long or short term disability or perhaps work comp.
  • Roz5382RRoz5382 Posts: 46
    edited 12/21/2012 - 3:52 PM
    One thing that I don't understand is, isn't Pt and also OT is supposed to decrease the pain?

And how do you know if it is nerve muscular pain or mechanical pain?
    I feel very similar to pre-op in terms of sitting.
    I can walk a bit better now and I do feel better when walking than sitting.

Can anyone enlighten me please?