Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ddd pain managed thru narcotic pain meds.

since 2004 i have beeen dealing with dds. i have tried all the recommended non surgical solutions. such as core exercises tenns unit ( i call it electic shock theropy) . after initial diagnosis the doc wanted 2 burn off all the nerve ending on my spine. at that time i was not taking any meds nor his offer for surgery. i requested the exercise /diet (anything) but the surgery or narcotics route. after 2 years of trying other venues none that worked i agreed 2 go the medicine route. i am a disabled vet and a very physically active 51 year old female. i heat my home with wood which i sometime cut and split myself and always bring in from the woods and load the stove all night every nite , i build and remodel my new log home, fix the cars, do the laundry etc. u get the idea. i take these pain meds AS NEEDED and i have never had a stomach problem from the asprin or anytype of addiction problem with them.as a 100% disabled vet my only source of health care is thru the v.a. system. recently my primary care doc of 20 years left the v.a. system and my new doc without seeing me or reading that 20year health record has decided that i dont need this medicine any more 2 manage my pain and continue the active life i lead now. i know she's going 2 try and steer me towards surgery(which she wont b doing she's not qualified) and stop my pain meds which she has already stated over the phone. when this happens i wont b able 2 move within 3 weeks.and never b as active as i wish 2 continue being. i have had 9 MAJOR surgeries thru the v.a./ military 4 of which were botched leading 2 more to correct the problems created. i can walk now and unless it's life threatening have no desire 2 b used as a training exercise for new doctors. i am also allergic 2 steriods which make injections out of the question. of the people out there reading this who may or may not have had back surgery...would u even consider taking a chance on any type of back surgery if u could manage ur pain and live a physically active life like i do by taking 1 but no more than 3 naarcotic pain relievers thru the day? i always have pain but wait til it gets past a certain point b4 i start reaching for the bottle.

• No i would not let the new doctor force me in to having surgery if you can manage the pain as you have been,
    New doctor sounds like she has the more agresive way of dealing with this issue over riding the doctor who been treating you for years and she not considering the fact if surgery makes you worse which they all know can hapen then you might not be able to manage at all !

Just ask her if surgery was to make you worse and you been able to manage all this time with low dose of meds is she going to come and cut wood and work on your car and help you for the next 30 years of your life ?

If not then she should not step over her boundry of making such decision for another that can alter that persons life !
    If most doctors are avoiding surgery at all cost when a person still has some quality of life then her going against that she needs to read the over all history and respect the other doctors over all decision making of treatment and not recomending surgery,

Even a VA doctor should know beter then that as if it was her she might not have the surgery either if it could effect her way of life as she knows it, I could understand if your medications were at such high dose and over the top and your condition was geting much worse but that dont sound to be the case,

You already know what you need to do and you know you are the only person that can make the decision to have surgery or not so you might have to raise a litle hell with the VA about what makes this new doctors think she is beter then your old doctor who knows your full medical history,

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • thank you for ur reply.it gives me some hope of fighting this crazy situation. when i 1st learned this was her plan of attack i literally fell 2 pieces. after having all 4 of my extremities operated on(reconstructed feet and hands) along with lung surgery and a reconstruction there also i KNOW that things never really get better. the type of pain and location just change. with so many people abusing pain meds it makes it very hard 2 fight a doctor without looking like u have a problem. just thinking about this has me in tears. i am desperately trying 2 come up with the rite way 2 get it thru her head with out falling apart that this pain management not only allows me 2 manage the dds but also the 5 other pain areas i deal with. i have never had 2 ask my other "speciality" doc 4 meds because of this. and have never asked for an increase of the dosage. when i had lung cancer i had 2 fight with the er doctor that something was wrong and because i insisted (she said i was yelling at her) an xray was taken and the radioligist found the dark section on my lung not getting air and the 95% blockage of my right upper lobe was operated on within 9 days. i know my body but with the craziness of addition out there and my extremely emotional state when i think or talk about this i fall 2 pieces. i have a 17 year old daughter and want 2 b able work her under the table for many years 2 come but if i stop my level of activity now i'll freeze up and muscles / bones will deteriate at a rapid speed. this petrifies me considering how bad it can get already.so if u or anyone out there listening have any ideas of the type of pharses / words i could use in my conversation with her to make her understand the death sentence she will b impossing on me PLEASE pass them on. and i thank you for ur encouraging words and wish feverently that ur pain subsides. just curious have u had ur back operated on?
  • I was fortunate to have a decent doctor when I was being treated on active duty for a knee injury. Unfortunately, not all doctors are the same. Check with your VA clinic to see if they have a policy about 2nd opinions. I'm pretty sure each facility has an Ombudsman that you can call and ask questions.

Good luck!
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2