Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Regeneration after L5/S1 endoscopical decompression

Dear all,

I write on behalf of my mother!

She suffered under chronical (perhaps over 6 years) sciatica on the right side (leg) until she had a endoscopical decompression-surgery at the L5/S1 position of the lumbar spine. This is the position the sciatic nerv comes out of the spinal-canal, where much degenerative damage was recognized.

As a pre-exam she had a PRT-injection which was "succesful"! The pain and tingle in her right leg disappeard for 2 hours. According to the doctor, this was the proof, that this was the decisive position to decompress (L5/S1). The surgery was succesful (so the doctor), but the pain in her right leg is still the same as before!!

What I now want to ask, if anyone has any experience or knowledge in this matter:
I would expect that there would be a significant improvement after the surgery (5 days ago).
Am I too anxious?
How long will it take till the sciatic nerv will recover??

Thanks a lot for any help or closer information.
Best Regards

• 5 days is way too soon to say, Nerves are always complicated as they get inflammed from surgery itself,
    All depends on many diferent factors how long nerve was compressed, It can heal and get beter very fast unless it was damaged which they say can take 18 months to heal so it realy depends,

More severe damage to the nerve sometimes never heals as it is in my case,

You just have to give it time and hope for the best ! She will probably know more on a follow up appointment with the dr of what he feels on time frame from what he observed during the surgery,

Best of luck, With some luck she by newyears eve will be doing break dancing busting moves like it was 1999 !
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • My experiences with the same surgery. My doc told me that if my surgery was successful that I would have some relief from sciatic pain immediately, mine were not successful so I can not really speak to the pain relief. As Alex posted it can take some time for your mother to fully heal, on that same note the surgeon can not know if the surgery was successful until your mother shows signs of improvement. The down side to this surgery is that as far as I've seen it's a crapshoot. It's not like surgically repairing a broken arm, there are so many variables associated with sciatic nerve pain and whether or not it can actually ever be fixed. Best of luck and I hope recovery goes well and that she is able to live pain free.
    Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy/Foraminalectoy L4/L5/S1 Oct 2009, Mar 2012
    Laminectomy L4/L5/S1 Dec 2009, Oct 2012, Dec 2012
    Microdiscectomy and Synovial Cyst removal Feb 2013
    St Jude Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted January 2014

• Well I think too that it will take some time to heal, as the nerv was compressed for so long time!
    The Dr said, after a thorough examinaton, that the sciatic nerv itself is not damaged.
    But I´m sure it inflammed during the surgery.
    Time will show...!