Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Either I forgot or I'm an idiot

Ok, I've done this before. I think I wiped out my history when I reset my password, but will update it again.

Anyway, I'm one week post-op L3/4 fusion/lami/decompression and wow how have I forgotten how painful this recovery is. Yeah, the surgical site's a big problem, but these nerves...WOW! I'm still on the walker, left leg issues mostly, and I'm totally numb on the front of my left leg, mostly my shin.

Some of my skin hurts to just touch it, it's that sensitive. Like sitting on a cold toilet seat...Ouch! It's amazing the toll this is taking, the amount of meds I'm on, including Peri-Colace for the obvious reasons - yep, still problems with that too.

Thank goodness I have a great caretaker, but don't underestimate recovery or the absolute blessing of having someone there to help for a while when you get home.

Oh, my, I don't remember it being this difficult last time. Maybe it's like childbirth where the good Lord lets you forget quickly so you'll have another. Whateeeeevvvvvvveeeeeerrrrrr....I'm fried, done, get me out of this eternal he--!

Ah, I think I feel better now, at least until the middle of the night when round 18 begins. Aaaaargh!
Cath...DANG IIT!
advertisement

Comments

• Day + 14 L4-5 XLIF here. Yeah, still hurting, I'm using the walker about 50 percent of the time. Still taking the pain meds, the surgeon told me to "stay ahead of the pain" because he wants me to walk as much as possible. The left psoas innervation is coming back, and that feels like charlie horses intermittently.

The absolute worst part of this was the fact that my husband decided to take two weeks off to "help." At first it was going to be one week, and while I was still in the hospital, he developed bronchitis. I tend to have a high pain threshold and am relatively stoic. He, on the other hand, can most charitably be described as a drama queen. I don't know how someone can actually embellish a cough, but he has been doing so for the past week and a half---cough, cough, cough, omg, ow, cough. When he is not embellishing coughs, he groans. When he isn't groaning, he mutters to himself just audibly enough at how I should be doing more.

If you have a caretaker who is reasonably healthy, compassionate, and not attempting to be in some sort of competition with you as to who currently has more pain at any given moment, consider yourself fortunate indeed. My husband has no idea how close he came this past weekend to having that walker wrapped around his neck! There is nothing wrong with my upper body strength!

He either went to the doctor again today, or is going back to work, and quite frankly, I don't care which. I'm just enjoying the quiet of the hum of the furnace and the snoring of the dog!

Hope you're feeling better physically real soon, Cath!
    I'm not a spinal diagnosis. I'm a human being with a spinal diagnosis.
  • Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
    edited 12/26/2012 - 10:00 AM
    Now THAT cracked me up. My hubby's been talking the last couple of days about how he thinks his fingers are starting to bend with his painful arthritis.

He returned to work today and some little nagging something tells me that over the next couple of weeks hell tell me how I should be much better than I am. Luckily he has to take me to see the PA Friday and I'm sure he'll tell me again how to expect this recovery to be worse than the last, so hubby should understand.

Yep, women are generally better caretakers, although from what you said, mine's doing ok so far. I know how a paper cut can turn into a major medical issue real quick when there's someone else (generally the strong one) is going through this ghastly recovery.

Cathie
  • My darling hubby is disabled due to failed beck syndrome..usually I am his caretaker. With my recent fusion surgery, I have to listen to how much he is hurting since he is doing all my work too. Should I mention that he's not exactly picking up all my work. Floors are a mess, laundry sitting everywhere, microwave meals, and dirty toilets! I will wrap my wheelchair around his tacking back if he groans one more time! LOL
    Jennifer
  • That skin nerve pain was really sensitive, could not bear a cotton sheet to touch my thigh/ knee area, yet could rub the same area roughly with my hand and no pain, always struck me as odd, this subsided as time went on as do much of the nerve pain.
  • "I tend to have a high pain threshold and am relatively stoic. He, on the other hand, can most charitably be described as a drama queen. "

"and not attempting to be in some sort of competition with you as to who currently has more pain at any given moment,"

OMG, you just described my husband to a T! He also has chronic pain issues and is a great caring and compassionate man, but jeez, sometimes its ridiculous, especially when he says to me "well its just your back that hurts, i have ARTHRITIS and i hurt in my knees, back, feet, hands etc. etc. etc. Well guess what babe, if you read my x-ray report a little closer ONE of the things listed is "moderate facet osteoarthropathy"! what the heck do you think that means. Yes i know your joints hurt, but please don't tell me that your pain is worse than mine. (OK mini rant over). 8-)

Anyway, I hope your all feeling a little better.

• Davey, isn't that the strangest pain? Having the skin hurt but you an push on it and it's not bad. That's so odd.

I discovered yesterday while I was in the shower that if I push on a certain spot near my incision, I get a sharp pain on the left side of my leg, just below the knee where I'm still experiencing nerve pain. I can actualy mimic the nerve pain, or make it worse, by pressing on that one spot. I wonder what that means? Guess my doctor can figure it out when I see him in a couple of weeks, assuming this is all still there.

advertisement