Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Cord Stimulator

I am having a spinal cord stimulator permanently put in on January 10. The test was a
little iffy, as I just got about 60% relief on the last day of trial. I was having a hard
time finding the right adjustment.

What has been anyone's outcome from this procedure. I am looking for a lot
of relief, as I want and need to get off all of the meds.

Sportygrandma (until three years ago, when the pain started:)
Linda Collins

• It's unlikely that you will be able to get off all of your meds. 60% is not bad for coverage. You'll probably match that with the permanent implant or even pick up a little extra. You'll need to be patient as things settle in. It took me 6 months to really settle into where I am now. I get about 50% coverage. I've had my stimulator just over 3 years now and it would be a cold day in hell if anyone ever tried to take mine.

Good luck with your surgery.

Happy New Year!

• I am currently taking vicodin (10-325) 4 to 6 times a day; gabapentin (400 mg) three times a day; Exalgo ER (16 mg) one per day (this a new product on the market that is a long lasting morphine. I am hoping to get off at least 3/4 of the meds. Is that realistic? I have had three failed back surgeries for a disc and one of the surgeries included a fusion. With your stimulator, how often do you have to recharge it? Did they place it above or below your waist line? I am hoping to get back to my walking, aerobics and learning to kayak this summer. Is that realistic also? I was told there will be no restrictions once everyhting has healed. Did you find this possible? Thank you for answering some of the questions, I have so far
    failed to ask the dr. or the representative from St. Judes Medical.
    Linda Collins
  • Linda, re-read Kathy's most recent posts. Everybody is wired different. I believe her account of her experience and surgery to date starts on 2nd page of this forum. Im glad you found us and we found you. Kayaking sounds like a blast!
  • backbback Posts: 190
    edited 12/28/2012 - 9:28 AM
    Anything is possible. A lot people are able to reduce there meds. I have pretty extensive nerve damage, so the odds weren't in my favor. It is very helpful for the stinging burning pain. I have one nerve on the left side that the stimulation just can't reach. My prescription handles that one for the most part.

I exercise every day. I lift weights and I walk on the treadmill at least 2 to 3 miles every day. When the weather is nice, I'll do another walk through the neighborhood which is also a couple of miles. In time things will level out and you'll be able to determine what your limitations are.

• Well if you had the surgery - you have been healing for two months. I hope all is going well for you! One thing I think is important is having a good rep from the manufacturer. You will see them when you need to have unit programmed, and if you have a good rep things will be a bit easier overall. I just had my third SCS put in on March 5th. I have been keeping a video journal, and I also explain what happened with the first two. Again, I hope all is going well - and have a look at videos - the link is below.

Larry F