Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

change or increase or other?

For about the last 7 years I have been prescribed compounded Hydrocodone (no tylenol). I have not had an increase in the amount in over 2 years and am definitely having more pain lately. My daily dose is 20% higher than it was 5 years ago.

When I was first injured I had only Codeine for the first 5 or so years and it worked pretty well, I think Hydro is relate to codeine? I have also tried morphine and methadone , neither are good for me. I also was prescribed Oxycodone for a while and it was great at first but I soon need increases for it to work well.

I feel I need a change but I don't like to shake things up either. I have read about switching meds sometimes helps. If I switched back to Oxy for one month would that help the hydro to work better again, or does it need to be longer? Or should I just try to get an increase of the Hydrocone?

• From what I have read and heard from acquaintances with CP and from 1 PM Dr. switching from hydro to oxy and back, etc. helps about 30 to 50% of the time. The period required is more like 3 to 6 months.
    Severe DDD, Severe neural foraminal stenosis at 2 levels, moderate canal stenosis at 2 levels, significantly impaired left shoulder & arm function. Chronic moderate compression fracture at C6.
  • From my experience and the help of my PM I did use one as the main Med and the other for a breakthru. When that did not help as much we switched them up again about six months apart. I believe it helped me as my body was just getting use to it and even a small change would help.
  • t9crushedtt9crushed Posts: 118
    edited 12/27/2012 - 1:40 PM
    The 30-50% odds of helping sounds pretty good to me. but I don't know if I can go 3 months on oxycodone. Last time I wanted to switch right back to the hydro but it's been a lot longer this time. Five years since I have had oxycodone. I still remember the first time I took one and how great it was for the pain.