Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What are we supposed to do all day during recovery?

Hi there again.

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record from two years ago, but what are we supposed to do in these early wheels of recovery?

I walk as I can, but it's icy outside so I have to stay inside. Even then, it's still extremely painful. Reading isn't the joy it was due to lack of concentration, can't sit long enough to play games too much, so I just layed down to watch a movie and took a nap. I can't clean or do housework of any kind, haven't had my first pre-op so can't do anything...these get to be some pretty boring days.

Funny how I could've helped anyone with this if they'd posted, but finding yourself in the fire is a whole other story. I think this is gonna be a long haul. Doc said this recovery is going to be more painful than the last and he was right. It's hell getting up, then I'm ok and backslide from there to where I'm using the walker at night.

Oy vay. Thanks for listening. This is a real pain...literally.

• Yep, it's a drag. I guess I'd just recommend watching movies and rewinding (if possible) to the point where you dropped off when you wake back up. You'll need your drugs and they don't make doing crosswords, etc., very easy. You do need to sleep and get your rest in order to heal properly, so don't feel bad if you doze off frequently. And, yes, I think you're wise to contain your walking to inside the house. All you would need is to slip and fall on the ice!!

Maybe some magazines, where you can just browse through the pictures would be a good thing? Heal well.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • for me, the first few weeks, even while in the hospital, I played Words with Friends. Couldn't believe I was able to play - AND WIN! hhaah

When I got home, did the same. My concentration wasn't that great, so I didn't watch too much tv. MOstly, I had it on for the noise.

I just recently sat down and watched the ENTIRE 3 seasons of Downton Abbey. A free site - Project TV has tv shows and movies on there. I was able to watch the entire series, which did make time go by.

After about 3 weeks, I started doing a little bit of work from home. In the beginning, my concentration was not good. But, I think sticking with it helped to push that cloud of fog in my mind away. Sitting for long periods of time, is tough, but I just get up and move around and resume working - or stop for the day.

Next on my list - watching "Breaking Bad".

Good luck to you!
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,849
    surprised at you. After all these years at being a Spiney and you dont know how to pass the time after surgery. Ok, I will remind you.

- Bungie jumpie every other day.
    - Sky Diving , only when the weather is good.
    - Some good cross country Motorcycle racing
    - Heavy duty mogul Ski jumping
    And the list goes on.

Tell you what.. After 8 days of doing all of this, post back here and tell us all how you can spend all those hours post

Cathie, still love you!!!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • yep...I don't envy you. I remember recovery too well and wish you well.
    Read - I tended to try to read short articles b/c my concentration was lousy
    Watch - TED Talks, documentaries, movies, sitcom series...again, my need rewind
    Listen - book on tape
    Friends - if they don't mind visiting, have them come over to chit-chat
    Walk - yep, had a surgery in the winter. Luckily I had a treadmill so could get in 10 mins every couple of hours. If no treadmill, try walking back and forth in hall way.

I wish I had more ideas. If you knit or crochet, I would tell you make a blanket but probably tough to do lying down anyhow.
  • I turned into a video gamer. I have all three game systems. So I am not short on things to do. I even learned how to quilt. When I was laying down I surfed the web and posted on spine health on my tablet. I even participate in the chatroom. I have several friends there, now. I guess I am one the lucky ones that can sit in a recliner for a while then get up and move around for a bit.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • lstellerllsteller Posts: 1,428
    edited 12/26/2012 - 2:37 PM
    Wow! That made me hurt just reading that stuff! What a prankster. I can't even ride a bike over bumps!
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • With it being winter at your end of the world, think the mogul skiing might be the thing for you Cathie !!

Seriously, we're all so happy to get the surgery over but then the boring endless days start. I was lucky in that I could get outside for all of the recovery time, and think I'd have been a real "grumblebum" if I'd had to be inside.

You could do with some of our heat - it's well over the 100 here in Western Australia and will be for the next week or so. Good excuse for me to be lazy and watch the cricket for the next few days.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Thanks a bunch, Ron. Lol just the thought sends my body into spasms!

Francine, I have been playing Words with Friends (and Drawsomething, try that - it's fun too) and I think that's a great ideea about Downton Abbey. Good thinking.

Linda, I did take a nap yesterday with a taped movie playing and found that to be a great thing. Napping. I'm not generally a napped, but I think my body wants some sleep, so I'll give in and do it regularly.

DNice, I wish I crocheted or knitted, but I don't. I'll take the suggestions here and work at keeping myself not so bored.

Except for you, Ron, I'm not listening to a word you say. Just wait until your next surgery...still love you, too, though. :-)

• Winters are always rough, But i prefer spine surgery this time of year VS summer time as while you are stuck inside during recovery you look foreward to geting beter as weather starts warming back up and by then walks can be longer and longer,

But for now you are limited to watching nascar and drinking beer ! Look they making a left turn, Look they making another left turn ! Look they making another left turn ! How does a robber get away in redneck country from the cops ? You run and make a right turn ! Throws off the redneck cops every time ,

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Yes, I have been playing DrawSomething and also Scramble (kind of like Boggle, if you know that game). Words with Friends and Scramble are my two big ones. Thankfully. If you need another Words with Friends player, let me know! :)

It is sunny here and I have been changing out batteries on my solar outdoor lights. Now that I can drive (and because I have a convertible), I will be heading out after the grocery delivery people arrive and leave just to get in some sunshine and run a few errands - something I haven't been doing when it is raining. I don't like driving with this collar on at all, but I definitely want to avoid it during the rainy days.

I am heading to the orthopedic supply place because I have already worn away the Velcro on the collar and my neck is moving around in this thing. I am fearful that I am positioning my neck incorrectly (subconsciously), so I am going to have them take a look at it and fix what needs fixing.

It's always something.

Next, "Breaking Bad" or some other series.
    I am going stir crazy, too. I am just not used to being this sedentary.

We'll make it through. I have no doubt. :)
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • Hello,

I am having my surgery at the end of Jan. But had an un related surgery last week. I have been so bored this week even with the holiday I have been going nuts!! I have become addicted to my i pad!!! I have been reading lots of blogs about all kinds of topics, I can easily waste hours with that. My plan for after back surgery is to watch Dexter all seasons or whatever I can get my hands on, my boyfriend just moved in a few months ago and has got me watching now. I also like to rent movies on nature, national parks, animals or marine life. That is a change from a long 2 hour movie that i usually fall asleep during. Lots of naps are good!!! I am concerned about the exercise outside, we currently have snow. Hopefully we will go back to the 50 s soon! I am planning on scrap booking on line. I can do it from the recliner and the TV with the computer hooked up to it. I also have my craft scrap booking too. I am scheduling dates with my friends so I am not moping and crying (I can put on a good pity party in my head!!). I like the words with friends idea. I have not played yet. I am planning our trip to Hawaii in May. That will be fun and give me some motivation to be scuba diving ready (not sure if this is possible but good to have a goal). I belong to other social networking sites that i hope to be able to write on. I know its not the same as being out and about but at least I can contribute something somewhere and hopefully it will be helpful to at least one person. This site has been very helpful to me!!! I am sure im being super ambitious with all my ideas but I get bored very easy!!! This past week has been a test for whats to come...

Thank you all for your ideas.
  • Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
    edited 12/28/2012 - 4:41 AM
    Oh, the boredom. I'm still in pain, so it's not too hard to figure out what to do and what my body needs. But still, you have to come up with some inventive ways to get through the day.

I had a visitor yesterday, she came to walk Wally then stayed for about an hour afterwards. Unbelievable how tired that one hour made me when she left. She's coming back by tomorrow morning, again to walk Wally and visit.

Francine, I'd love another WWF partner. I'm Wallysmommy, so let me know in chat that it's you and we can play. I have to say that I play anywhere from 1 to 4 times a day and some days I just can't play at all when I'm hurting really bad. I also kinda suck, so it might make you feel good. :-)

Hang in there all recovery peeps.

Alex, since my 3-level cervical surgery, I have a hard time watching NASCAR and tennis. LOL. Too much left, right, left, right, etc. (JK). Get 'er done, buddy.

• Pinterest! Pinterest! Pinterest! It's mindless. When my nerve pain is so bad and I can't focus on anything it is helpful. I look at pretty things and pin things I'll never do I love it.
  • Oh the surgery. Out of all the surgeries I have had, I really have to say, this was the worst one ever. I woke up crying! I was telling them to give me something for the pain, and they said that they could not, as they have already gave me the maxium dilaudid. It took a couple hours to settle down, and then I started feeling better. I guess I was lucky, I went to my mom and dads, so my mom can take care of me, as I live by myself. I enjoyed every minute of it, we talked, watched tv, I slept, mostly all the time, but then 2 weeks later, I went home, and it was terrible. I know how boring it can be. I walked, but not too much, I watched tv, and facebook, and reading, but I hate to read. I hate to be bored, especially when you cannot clean, cook, do nothing. But you sure feel like it, after taking pain meds! I am only 3 mos. post op, and it still is not easy, but it does get better. You all are in my prayers, and I would like to lift someone else up and make them feel better, than feel sorry for myself. : )

L3-L4 minimally invasive spinal fusion L3 - L4 with cage and rods. Aug 24th, 2012
    Hardware Removal Feb 24, 2014
    DDD, Thyroid Disease
    Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
    SI Joint dysfunction
  • edited 01/12/2013 - 1:03 AM
    Whet are dome of these things? I have to say I need serious social media help (new term for me). Being a wildllife biologist/ homesteader, I am new to a lot of this. Rural West Virginia is just entering the Internet age. Yes I am serious we still don't have working cell phones outside most our larger towns. But I finally got Hugest Net for research...surfing is fun, but I sure have a lot to learn. Lots of time to read scientific papers and learn about new things...but that sure gets boring. I wish we could actually talk so I could hear human voices (other than my husbands complaints!).at least we are on the upswing, even if its gonna take a while. At least I could plan recovery during the winter!
This discussion has been closed.