Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Failed back surgery and another 3 slipped discs

Can anyone point me in the right direction or offer advice?? Sept 2011 i went under and had L3, L4, L5 and S1 operated on, a micro disectomy i had, 2 discs were embedded in my sciatic nerve and 2 were in my bladder. Since surgery last year, i have yet another 3 prolapsed discs and on so much pain relief you wouldnt believe - but non of it works and none of my GPs or consultants will take me seriously. They say i wont be entitled to another operation and i just have to deal with the fact my back is in such a mess! I also have extreme fybromyalgia, the consultants in pain management say they have never seen a case so bad for someone so young. I am 24yrs old.

• What was the reason for the initial surgery. Trauma related or other?
  • You sound just like me! I'm 44 years old now, but have had 13 lower back surgeries. It started like you-surgery then more discs went, more surgery, repeat cycle., throw in some scar-tissue removal procedures, hardware removal, hardware replace, etc., etc. I had my "work" done at actually 2 hospitals. The first 2 surgeries were at the one where the doctor performed surgery for the slipped discs. I had no pain relief and was told to "lie-down" for a year and then come back and see him. He actually told me that!, while handing me a prescription for anti-depressants. I ended up doing some research and talking with people and ended up in the hospital I wished I started at in the beginning (it's the one all the professional sports players go to). I'm in the Boston area, so there are a lot of choices. Anyway, the surgeon there looked at my xrays, mri's etc. and diagnosed me in 2 seconds with scar tissue impinging on my sciatic nerve and we made plans to operate.........
    I would go to the best hospital that you can for your problem. You simply have to go on the internet, talk with others that have had similar problems. Find out what they did. One of the best things that happened was getting under the care of a a physiatrist (not psychiatrist) who ended up acting like a primary care doctor for this one particular problem. The physiatrist is a good choice because they are knowledgeable with all the musculoskeletal, and nerve crap that you will be living and learning about, and he can cooperate and coordinate with any surgeons and others that will come into play. This doctor handled my pain medication issues also. I think this is very important now more than ever with all the issues popping up with people regularly prescribed narcotics, and doctors being unwilling to regularly prescribe them. Other things to note: Do what the doctors say to do after surgeries. I went back to work early and herniated more discs. I did that twice actually. Take your medications as prescribed. Don't take extra if your pain is flaring. This will lead you down a road you don't want to go on. Find a doctor you like, and can communicate well with. It's vital to have a good relationship, since you two will be seeing each other a lot, unfortunately. I understand exactly how you feel and am willing to answer any questions you have and help in any way I can. You can send me a PM with questions or just need to vent whatever. I'm not too computer savvy, and will figure out how to retrieve any messages. Good Luck,