Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Clicking noise in back?

hello painhhello pain Posts: 69
edited 12/28/2012 - 3:02 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hi,

I've had a ton of herniated discs in my lower back - I think mostly around L4, L5 and S1.

For years now, I've had a clicking sound in my back, especially when I'm lying down, resting and then move my back a little.

It's always the same noise/ feeling, so I feel like one of my vertebrae is sort of slipping and catching on something.

It's not unpleasant - it's sort of like when you pop the joints on your fingers - similar feeling, similar sound.

Unfortunately, I can never get it to happen when I'm at the Dr's !

I assume it's nothing serious as I've had it for a few years and it's not gotten worse, etc.

But I wonder whether one of my vertebrae may be "loose" or something?? Which could then be contributing to the overall back issues...

If anyone here has clicky noises and knows what they are, I'd appreciate the tip!

Thanx

:-)

Happiness is your chronic pain being less than it usually is...

Migraines and so many herniated discs (the same ones over and over) that I have literally stopped counting
advertisement

Comments

• hello painhhello pain Posts: 69
    edited 12/28/2012 - 3:05 PM
    I don't mean the normal sort of clicking noises you get when you stretch... they're completely normal to me.

Rather, there's a certain vertebrae in my lower back, that I can feel sort of slipping around, when I move my back - and as it slips, it makes that noise...

(Still not a very good description, but don't know how else to put it)

Migraines and so many herniated discs (the same ones over and over) that I have literally stopped counting
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    click, crack, pop, snap, etc in my back or hip for years now. Like you said, its not painful or disturbing, but you just want to know what it is.
    Of course it never happens with the doctor!!

The only clicking I had that was painful was in my trigger thumb condition. That hurt, that the doctors saw and the doctors help to eliminate that.

Happy popping, at least for the New Year
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • hello painhhello pain Posts: 69
    edited 12/28/2012 - 3:44 PM
    Haha - snap, crackle and pop - like a bowl of Coco Pops, huh? :lol:" alt=":lol:" height="20" />

Well, I'm glad that it seems normal then...!

But yeah, I'm very curious as to what it is :-)

• I have that right in the middle of my back!

I can lean back on a foam roller and it really pops out.

My physio taught me to do it as a release and it really helps.
    They say its manipulating the joints back on to their right place although this sounds a bit scary to me!

Normal clicks (like popping your fingers or knuckles) are a build up of gasses - I tell my kids it's farty bones haha! You can certainly feel the difference between that and a real moving vertebra.

Best wishes
    Keewee
    2 level Discectomy 2000 open surgery
    L4/5 Discectomy & L5/S1 Laminectomy 2005- (Cauda equina) open surgery
    5 x joint injections 2012
    Discogram Dec 2012
    Dec 2012 - 360 Lumbar Fusion L4 -S1(BMP), Disc replaced L3/4, Bilat trocanter injects
  • I am so glad to find you all. I had steroid shots, then told if I didn't have back surgery by my doctor then thatI would be paralysted quickly, didn't get paralysed.endured terrible pain; I am an artist and can't stand at my easel, can't walk more than 50 feet. Got spinal cord stimulator after having X Stop, 2 foraminotomies. I have been told by 3 doctors I should not have had the X Stop but a fusion at L4,L5,S1. New pain doctor did steroid shots, lidocaine, etc. and is sending me to a neurosurgeon tomorrow. Can X Stops be removed? Thank you! I can't stand the pain; any of you tried biofeedback etc?
  • Hi Adele,
    to get more answers to your question, it might be useful to start a new thread called "Can X Stops be removed" - that way more people will see it. :-) Yes, I've tried biofeedback and found it very helpful...

Thanks to the others for their replies... Keewee, it's definitely a vertebrae "slipping around", I'd say... Those "normal" popping, cracking noises you get when you stretch a stiff back, they're not what I mean. I get those too, but I think every human being does??

There's something slipping around in there! But the noise is sort of similar... didn't know how better to describe it...

I don't *think* it's about getting a joint back in the right alignment - I *think* I also know what that feels like and that's not it either...

Hm... the many mysteries of our spines, huh?

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.