Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally got PM appointment but it's 2 months from now

I'm happy to get the appointment but 2 months is a long time from now. I called my NS for a refill on my muscle relaxer and pain med. (Robaxin and Lortab). I know he is getting tired of it because of Lortab 7.5mg he called in 5 mg. I see a Neurologist because of migraines and he also gives me Lortab 10mg and Lyrica. I try not to use the pain meds if possible. I mostly take them before bed. I have terrible leg and foot cramps all night. I have been avoiding going to a PM doc because I didn't want to be labeled. I have an appointment in a few weeks to see my Neurologist. I guess I will tell him about the PM appointment. I may be shooting myself in the foot because he may not want to give me anymore pain meds but it will be two months until I see the PM doc. Any suggestion on how to handle this. Had two surgeries and several epidural nerve blocks. They say I have permanent nerve damage. The other alternative is a spinal cord stimulator which I feel is a bit premature.

• I don't see any reason why your neurologist wouldn't want to give you something to hold you over till you see the pm doctor. Being honest with him about the appointment is the only way to go, other wise it might cause a problem, should they find out. In addition you need to be honest with the pm doctor about the neurologist, and the NS. Most pm doctors will want to know when you see any other doctor than them. Also be sure once you start with the pm, to never allow any other doctor to treat you with medications.

If your only taking the pain medications at night, a stimulator might be a little premature. But they also need to insure there is nothing surgically that can be done, before placing them. Once a stimulator is placed keep in mind that no more MRI's can be run, but in place they can use CT scans.
  • KimwKKimw Posts: 11
    edited 12/30/2012 - 12:50 PM
    What about migraine medications like Maxalt or Cambia? They are not narcotics. Can my Neurologist still give me these medications?
  • You may find that you have a problem with your getting two different prescriptions for the same medication from two different doctors. Almost all states at this point have prescription monitoring systems in place that allow for doctors to either view your prescription fills , dates , dosages and amounts in real time or at the least for the previous months. Getting narcotics or specific other types of meds from different physicians is a definate no no and may wind up getting you dismissed from your neuro's care and can hamper your ability to be treated by pain management physicians as well.
    You will need to have one doctor prescribe narcotics for you, and only one.....that is usually done by the PM doctor.
    Surgeons' usually will treat a patient they have done surgery one for a period of three months or less when it comes to the immediate post op period, then send the patient back to pain management for ongoing pain treatment......
  • Maxalt and Cambia are not narcotics. I have no problem with the PM prescribing ALL narcotics. I was just wondering if the Neuro could still manage the non-narcotic part of it.
  • I think that Sandi may have been talking about the Lortab you get from 2 different doctors. I work for a family practitioner who is also my doctor and fills my pain prescription along with anxiety and depression meds. I know from working for her that if she writes a prescription for say Lortab she expects to be the only one writing that prescription and there is a website that she checks regularly including one on me to check to see if patients are getting pain meds elsewhere. Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote but would hate to see you lose your ability to get into pain management or even have your family doctor write Rxs for you in future.

• KimwKKimw Posts: 11
    edited 01/02/2013 - 3:38 PM
    Oh I totally agree with you. That is part of the reason that I want to go to a PM Dr. I want one person coordinating my medications for my back and nerve damage. I am however concerned about the migraine medications. Was not sure if the PM Dr. would do that too sense it is not related to my back.