Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Temporary spine cord stimulator

Late in the afternoon when I got home from the hospital, someone from the home care agency showed up with an external spine cord stimulator. At that point I still had quite a bit of residual Dilaudid, and she could have told me that it was a Star Trek transporter and I would have believed it. I was told to apply it to my back daily and sit or lie on it, and let it run for a half hour. It beeps once at the beginning of the program, and twice when the half hour treatment is over. Other than that, I don't notice anything. Am I supposed to be feeling something? In the interest of compliance and being a good soldier I've been hooking up to the "mother ship" daily, but I'm really not sure what the purpose of sitting with my lumbar spine in contact with something that looks like the steering wheel of a TR-3 (boy, am I dating myself here!)

Anyone have any idea what the point of this is?
I'm not a spinal diagnosis. I'm a human being with a spinal diagnosis.

• tamtamttamtam Posts: 2,749
    edited 12/29/2012 - 5:43 AM
    It sounds like they hooked you up with a bone growth stimulator. I am supposing you had a fusion done. For some reason your surgeon has ordered it for you and feels you need it to encourage bone growth. You can call the company back and ask them if that is indeed what it is for. They are a very expensive piece of equipment. You want to follow the orders that they gave you in using it, as it will give you the best possible chance of a good fusion. Of course I am assuming you had a fusion.
  • Ok, thanks! Yeah, I had a L 4-5 XLIF done. And yes, I've been hooking up to the "mother ship," as I've been referring to it, daily as instructed, since they delivered it. Just wanted to know what it was.
    I'm not a spinal diagnosis. I'm a human being with a spinal diagnosis.