Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

XLIF results and recovery

My 86 yr old father in law is having the below surgery after losing strength in his lower extremities and once having incontinence. His Dr. has performed numerous fusions using this approach in San Diego. I am not familiar with these and because of the incontinence they are scheduling the procedure rapidly, next friday. I am leaving Weds to be with him but want some information first.

What should our expectations be, good and bad, and recovery since my husband will be there for at least 2 weeks but need to know if we should have a plan, ie caregiver lined up.

His surgery levels are L4-L5 for the XLIF/posterior fusion and L2-L3 for posterior decompression without fusion for severe spinal stenosis at those levels. He has instability (spondylolisthesis) at L4-L5, which is why he needs more done at that level.

• Hi Susanna,
    Have you checked out the "Post-op must haves" thread at the top of this Surgery section?
    It's probably a good place to start, while waiting on some surgery experienced ppl to reply.
    Happiness is your chronic pain being less than it usually is...

Migraines and so many herniated discs (the same ones over and over) that I have literally stopped counting
  • Sussana

This is a major surgery. And generally, the older we are, the longer the recovery.

For the middle aged, recovery is often about 3 - 6 months. Many here will attest to it. Beware that most surgeons are very optimistic in the recovery timeframes and often we see here that doubling the time is more realistic. So, I expect that a caregiver plan will be necessary for a while for an 86 year old.