Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New member with 2 fusions - L 4-5 & ACDF with myelopathy

Hi everyone! It's good to talk with other people in this forum. I had a large (150 lb.+) TV fall off an unstrapped mobile carton to my neck and roll down my back in 2009. I can't work any longer, so I retired early after my surgery. I had 4 epidural injections and trigger point injections as well. None of them worked. I had an MRI and CT scan and it showed a large cyst impinging on my L4, spondylolisthesis, and a fracture. I had a L 4-5 fusion with discectomy, cyst removal, and bone graft in April 2010. The incision was about 8" long. I had PT afterwards which helped. Acupuncture helped my piriformis syndrome. Had an EMG which showed nerve damage in my L4 where the cyst was. My right leg get a cold shooting pain still today. I had more problems with foot drop and severe cervical neck pain. New insurance meant new doctors. I had another MRI, PT, and traction sent me into a world of pain. I had an injection which worked!! i was thrilled. Upon exam by the neurosurgeonI had many symptoms of myelopathy - clonus, foot drop, etc.. I needed another surgery for an ACDF in my C 4-5, C 5-6. I had lots of pain and stayed longer in the hospital due to that, not swallowing food, and throat swelling. I had two cages put in with plates. Thank goodness for my wonderful husband who took great care of me through all of this. The neurosurgeon told me that on a good day my pain start at a 4 -5. Currently. I'm healing slowly. I walk 35 min. on the treadmill every other day with shorter walks on the other days. I use heat, ice, TENS unit, my recliner to stay as comfortable as I can be. I do take pain medication daily. I'm always looking for alternative therapy. I had another MRI last month due to an increase in pain, my hands and feet going numb. Basically every level in my c spine now has issues. I have 3 disc herniations, an anterolisthesis, a retrolisthesis under the fusion area. The worst thing is the bone marrow edema in my facet joints at C 2-3. Now I'm being told I have a " flexible neck", and wear wrist braces at night for my hand numbness. The latest news actually points to BMP being used off label in the cages placed in my neck for the bone graft. This can be very harmful causing severe pain, unwanted bone growth, swelling, paralysis, and worse. I am fighting to get well. I hope 2013 brings good health and happiness to us all.