Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 Weeks Post-Op, Back At Work

gliders1ggliders1 Posts: 62
edited 12/30/2012 - 2:04 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hi, thought I'd post an update. Had my implant on 11/27 so I'm a little over 4 weeks out. I had to return to work at 4 wks due to not having any sick time left. Thank goodness for good employers, who let me have the 4 wks paid as opposed to unpaid, since I didn't have any sick time left at all before my surgery! I've worked 3 days so far, starting this past wednesday, with a 10hr day on friday. I personally think I could have used another 2 wks, since by 11:30am I'm already in pain, I managed to stick it out all day anyway, even though they gave me the option to go home. At this point I'm a little dissappointed about the level of pain, since my trial went so well. I'm still on all the meds I was on before the surgery and don't see much reduction in pain. I can only charge for 10-15 min at a time because of incision pain, and also because the stim gets so HOT I have to take the belt off! Does anyone else have this problem with the stim getting hot while charging? I'm hoping that all this pain will go away eventually, and that I'm just being overly-optimistic in thinking I should be doing better at 4 wk postop. Any thoughts?

• Carol
    Glad to hear your back to work so quick, just be very careful. Did you get a medtronics unit? If you did my unit does get hot with a long charging time. Every 10 to 14 days I recharge. After a couple of hours it can get warm and a few more hours it can get hot. My kit has a spacer that goes on the recharger that helps out some. I also make sure I have a good shirt on also. If and when it gets hot take a brake and let it cool down then finish the charge.
    The smarter people ( not me) do shorter charging times several times a week and heat is not a issue.

With a good programmer I think you will see better coverage at three months then at six months and then again at one year. After that first year things should be all scared in and not so picky for your coverage. I would expect maybe cutting meds back at around 30 to 90 days. Make sure during the reprograming sessions the areas with pain receive some sensastions or there will be no help.

Keep in mind some programmers are better then others. I have not had a bad one yet but I have one that can do wonders for me. If you have the same one every time and do not get the coverage you need ask for another person to try and see if they can get it set right.

Well glad to hear yours is in and started anyway

Good Luck
  • Thank you both for posting helpful information to me...I have 3 doctors telling me my nerve will not heal and to get the spine stim. I've been very skeptic of it because I have only heard negative things. Nice to see info here.

Question...my neurosurgeon paints this as not a "surgery" but just a quick procedure. So it makes me think that it's a pretty swift recovery period but then I see you guys talking about 4 weeks out. So, what is the typical recovery time? Did they tell you you'd get relief right away.. And if no, when at one point do they think you'll get relief?

• I have a Boston Scientific, and was able to charge this last time for 3 hrs straight! I'm still dissappointed about the pain levels, think I should be in less pain by now. I talked to my Rep night before last and although I have coverage everywhere I'm supposed to, he's going to try a reprogram and see if that helps. I do have a wonderful Rep, I'm very lucky to have him! Pretender, this is surgery, and you should plan to take at least 4-6 wks off work, mainly because the wires and leads need time to scar in so they don't move(migrate) and you don't need to be bending over or reaching above your head for at least that length of time. As far as pain goes, I had most of my surgery pain during the first couple weeks, now it is just the normal pain I usually have. Everyone is different though. You should spend lots of time in these forums and gathering info elsewhere to get the overall picture before making a decision. There's lots of great people here and it will help you so much to be well informed. If you have any questions I'm sure you can get them answered by reading the forums and posting a thread with your questions. Don't be afraid to ask, as there are lots of great people here who will do their best to help you in any way they can!