Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Spinal Fusion ALIF/PLIF

Has anyone ever heard about having a lumbar spinal fusion ALIF/PLIF done on L5/S1 that is done on 2 days? I am scheduled to have this surgery done on Tuesday and the second one on Thursday. I have never heard of such thing and I am very worried. This should be a one day surgery because there is a greater risk of complications when surgery is done over two separate days. Please advise. Thanks.

• DaveFusionDDaveFusion Posts: 476
    edited 12/30/2012 - 2:27 PM
    Hi melvira. Welcome to Spine Health.

Having the op split over 2 days is not unusual. Doing both on the one day can be tricky, as I have read here from others, a) the operation is long and the surgeon gets tired. So it's sometimes better to have 2 ops with the surgeon fresh than one marathon op with an exhausted surgeon b) if there are complications, there is no time pressure associated with having to complete the 2 in one day.

I guess it's a risk benefit analysis. Which is riskier? This is a good question for your doctor.
  • it's sometimes called a 360 .but when i was opened up and i have already had surgery on the PLIF side of my spine i on,y needed the ALIF part {that was bad enough} read my posts on it ..if you want ..anyway back to your surgery ..its MASSIVE .and you will need as much help as possible for a long time and recovery could be as long as 3 years ..a recliner rise and decline would be a massive help to you as would a number of memory foam pillows to get comfy on you chair/bed .a raised loo seat and a grabber {amazon from 10 to 30$/£ } there is s good thread on post op extras this you may need on there .worth a look .don't feel downhearted by the complexity of the operation and just take it as it comes .and be prepared for a long recovery /its been 12 months for me and i am still no better .hopefully you will fair better good luck
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Hi!
    I'm two weeks post op from my 360 surgery.

I was supposed to have the front part (anterior) on the Wednesday and the back part (posterial) on the Friday but I had complications so had the second surgery the tolling Monday meaning I had an 11 day stay in hospital.

I found the front approach much rougher to deal with however again this could have been because of the complications, plus mine was 2 levels and a replacement on a third level.

I am feeling good today, just getting ready for a walk and had 6 hours sleep last night!

My first op was 7 hours, my surgeon says 2 lots of shorter surgery is less risky than one long surgery.
    My first op was supposed to be 3-4 hours they had issues waking me up after 7, so I can imagine having both lots in one go would have been too much.

I am 30, non smoker, haven't had alcohol for 10 weeks and healthy.

Just my experience, but your surgeon and anaesthetist are your best guide.
    2 level Discectomy 2000 open surgery
    L4/5 Discectomy & L5/S1 Laminectomy 2005- (Cauda equina) open surgery
    5 x joint injections 2012
    Discogram Dec 2012
    Dec 2012 - 360 Lumbar Fusion L4 -S1(BMP), Disc replaced L3/4, Bilat trocanter injects
  • brvsfan99bbrvsfan99 Posts: 113
    edited 01/02/2013 - 4:00 PM
    in which they did the surgery over two days. Mine was in 1 day but I had 2 different surgeons. A vascular surgeon did the front approach and my neurosurgeon did the back approach. It was a single level fusion so it didn't take too long and I had a 2 night 3 day hospital stay. I am feeling much better and would not change my decision in the least.

Single level L5/S1 360 fusion with 6 screws and a rod (10/29/12)
    Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis
  • brvsfan99: Thanks. I am glad to hear that someone is feeling good with the decision they made. That helps. My doctor called me today to explain the procedure and he said that will have a ALIF/TLIF, some type of robotic surgery on day 2, which is a minimal invasive one. It is still a two day surgery but he said that this is much more successful than any other procedure. I feel pretty comfortable now. Again thanks for your feedback.
  • Just to let you know I am now 3 weeks post op and feeling great!

I'm back to work on Monday!!

My back scars are 2x 3 inch scars either side of my previous midline scar.

Best of luck!
    2 level Discectomy 2000 open surgery
    L4/5 Discectomy & L5/S1 Laminectomy 2005- (Cauda equina) open surgery
    5 x joint injections 2012
    Discogram Dec 2012
    Dec 2012 - 360 Lumbar Fusion L4 -S1(BMP), Disc replaced L3/4, Bilat trocanter injects