Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My thoracic pain story

Hi everyone~ I did not know this forum existed (and maybe it didn't when I first started looking many, many years ago). I have been suffering from mid-back pain for over 8 years now. No one has given me an explanation. When it first started (and I had insurance) I had an MRI which only revealed mild DDD and nothing else. I am divorced now, self employed w/o insurance and have not had an MRI in over 7 years. Since then, the pain has worsened considerably. My doctors say that the muscles in the thoracic area spasm nonstop and they don't know how to make them stop.
I started with physical therapy, chiro, then steroid injections, then up to the University of Washington (wanting to get off of daily pain meds) and they did injections and I was pain free for 15 days!!! It was heaven! When the pain returned, they had me come back right away for more injections. 3 days later, I came down with Cushings Disorder and not long after that, I came down with viral meningitis. I was in the hospital for a week and out of work for 3 months. During this time, my husband divorced me and I lost my health insurance.
Now, 4 years later, new symptoms: loss of fine motor control in hands and feet. Drop everything! Breaking dishes etc. Driving, I cannot smoothly push gas and brake pedals so every movement requires a jerky motion. I not only frustrate myself, but y daughter who is usually in the car with me. I'm not sure what to do now? I cannot afford to pay out of pocket for another MRI but I feel it should be updated since my original symptoms are worse and I have even more problems now.
So far, my general doctor thinks it started because I am a hairstylist and I have been doing hair for over 20 years. My arms are raised most of the time.
WHat now?

• jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 01/01/2013 - 10:47 AM
    Sorry that you have been in a situation where you have been searching and found us, but I think you will find this a great place to get information and support.

You have certainly had a difficult ride for a long time. I hope that you will be able to get a definate diagnosis and then that there will be a way to help you.

I also have thoracic pain, and have already had a lumbar fusion and am 8 weeks into my recovery from a 2 level ACDF.

I would say that from what I know and read, symptoms in your arms cannot be coming from your thoracic spine, but from your neck. When severe, the neck can also give symptoms in the legs and feet. Before my cervical fusion, I had pains and symptoms in my hands and arms along with symptoms in my legs and feet. I had spinal cord compression and was showing signs of myelopathy which is why I had the fusion.

Take care :-)