Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdecompression surgery

I had surgery 3 weeks ago to remove the bulge that was pushing on my nerve and making my right leg numb and tingly from the butt cheek down to my toes. Last week I felt great I didn't have the pain down my leg but about 4 days ago the pain in the side of my calf came back. I'm not sure if this is part of the healing or if I did something without knowing and messed it up.... Thank you in advance. Also I wasn't told to do any sort of PT, is this normal?

• DeAnna; hi and welcome.

Must have been good to be relatively pain free for 2 weeks. And a bit scary now some of the pain is back.

Calf pain. Bit hard to comment. I had a muscle in that area spasm up. So you need to decide if its a spasmed muscle pain or nerve pain. Spasmed muscles can be relaxed via number of methods. But if its nerve pain, then it could be reherniation. About 10% reherniate. Hopefully, it's not nerve pain from nerve compression again.

It is very common that after your type surgery that the nerve is 'irritated' and displays numbness and tingling / burning. It can take a few weeks or up to 3 mths for normal regeneration but occasionally up to 2 years. This type of regeneration pain is 'healing pain'. However, it is not normal to have 'ongoing' nerve damage after the op. It happens, and did to me.

Please explain your pain in more detail. What medication are you on?

Are you walking? It is important to keep the internal scar tissue moving so it doesn't become stiff and hard.

Don't despair, as this may only be the normal post surgery nerve healing. Discuss these concerns you have with your surgeon. If its real bad, get in contact with the surgeon and have phone discussion.
  • 3 weeks is still early. I know you are still in pain and question if you will feel better. Hang in there. Def walk! I remember after surgery if I would stretch out my legs my calf cramped up so bad I wanted to scream. I'm almost 8 months out from my surgery it no longer does that. The pain will come and go as you heal.