Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal fusion and pregnant

Hi all,

just a question and was wondering if anybody had any advice or similar problem. i am 19 weeks pregnant and had a spinal fusion L5-S1 about 7 years ago and hardware removal about 5 years ago. I also have a labral tear in my right hip that needs surgery about a month after I deliver. anyways, I am meeting with my Ortho this week to discuss with him birthing plans. i have discussed with my OB, but they wanted an opinion from my ortho doctor. i was wondering if anybody who ever ahad a spinal fusion, how they delivered. Were you able to have an epideral? i have been told by my OB they thought C-section would be best, but i am terrified. would i have to have general anesthesia?

• I had 2 children after my discectomy and laminectomy and could not have epidurals.
    They attempted 3 but all I ended up with was one numb leg.
    I had a general anaesthetic with my first child (I had eclampsia and fits) and the second I had a spinal which numbed me ft neck down.

Sorry I know its not the same as a fusion.

Best of luck x
    2 level Discectomy 2000 open surgery
    L4/5 Discectomy & L5/S1 Laminectomy 2005- (Cauda equina) open surgery
    5 x joint injections 2012
    Discogram Dec 2012
    Dec 2012 - 360 Lumbar Fusion L4 -S1(BMP), Disc replaced L3/4, Bilat trocanter injects
  • One of the first questions my surgeon asked when we decided on a fusion was, "Are you done having kids?" That might be because we're doing a 2 level fusion. I certainly hope it goes well for you!

- Jaclyn
    DDD L4-5 & L5-S1 w/ herniation
    Failed discectomy, 8-15-11
    Discogram, 11-14-12
    L4-S1 ALIF (2 plastic cages, 2 plates and 8 screws), 1-4-13
    FBSS & SI joint dysfunction, 12-30-13
    1 year post-op CT hardware scan & left SI joint injection, 1-17-14
  • ChicInBlueCChicInBlue Posts: 34
    edited 01/02/2013 - 1:28 PM
    I asked my pain management Dr about having more kids after having a 3 level fusion.I was confering with him after learning my NS suggested the fusion He said that it is perfectly fine BUT it would definitely be more difficult. He didnt say C section but it was infered. Now obviously he isnt an OBGyn so we can take that for what its worth.
  • Hello

This was a question I was pondering over when I fell pregnant with my daughter only 9 months post op! My surgeon felti could give birth naturally. I naturally was quite apprehensive being how much back labour I got the first time, so chose to have a caesarean last year. The anaesthetist explained the epidural is put a few spaces higher than a l5/s1 fusion.
    So yes, you can have an epidural or deliver naturally :)
    L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
    ALIF l5/s1 2011
    Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013