Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

laminectomyL2-L5 with fusion and diskectomy L3-L5

I had a laminectomy from L2 through L5 and fusion with rods and screws L3 through L5. I am now in Physical therapy and my therapist says that if I continue riding my horse it will wear out the joint above the fusion. I am obese and afraid I will need future fusion of L2 also. My Doctor said before the surgery that I would be able to do whatever I wanted after 6 months. Has anyone else had the therapist discourage activities or had to have further surgeries?

• Appygirl, hi and welcome here.

There are lots of stories here about wearing out the discs adjacent to a fusion. You are welcome to read them. They can be found by using appropriate keywords in the search function. A starting point would be to use 'failed back surgery' as the key words (without the ' ', of course : ) ) and then use variations of these words plus others you think may get results. There are a lot of doctor written articles on this site too.

Obese - been there. I used the techniques in the weight loss forum (a post called something like 'guaranteed results') and they worked (20% body mass reduction so far). The thought of future pain caused by extra mass is my motivator.

Sitting is real bad for backs, so I can understand that siting on a dynamic stead with jarring and additional load on adjacent discs would increase the risk of future issues. You will be the one that lives the consequences, not the doctor. Live life understanding the risks and consequences. Ask, Is it really worth taking high risks, do I want more of this pain and surgery?

It's not just L2/L3, you can have issues with L5/S1 too.

Take care.