Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar discectomy 2nd operation in 12 months

Hi I'm 46 , I have 6 boys between the age of 26 to 2 years , I try to work full time but finding it very hard in the last 2 years , my first op was on the 29 th may 2012 which was a lumbar discectomy on my l4 l5 , I was up and about after a week , but the operation only lasted 12 weeks and my disc ruptured again , I then had to go through the MRI the consultant etc all again , I went back in hospital on the 6 December 2012 , just a month ago , this time I have felt so ill, going dizzy sickness scar leaking , carnt sleep , I feel so weak , I can't do much , my back feel like it has a big lump around scar , the pain in my leg is still there but not as bad , more round my knee the down the right side were it normally is , my back hurts so much , I'm having to use crutches to get about , I know it's early days but I didn't feel like this last time
Christine murphy

• i had a microdisectomy / laminectomy at l5-s1 in june 2010. herniated the disc a week after the surgery. and 4 months later was in for the revision. i will say, i had much worse symptoms after the second surgery. woke up with total numbness from my butt to my toes in my right leg. not something i had before surgery either. it took alot longer to recover from the 2nd surgery. In my case, doc had to do a lot of scraping of scar tissue and poked at the damaged nerve alot while he was in there the 2nd time. it really aggravated the nerve for a long time afterward. (doesn't help i herniated the disc again and confirmed 4 months after the 2nd surgery either.) but it could just be the extra work in the same area aggravated things. have you spoken to your doc about the symptoms since the surgery? maybe give him a call and talk to him about how you feel.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • This time it was a differant surgeon and he said it was a mess in there and he has put some sort of gel in there , I don't think the first doctor did it right ,
    Christine murphy
  • you can not be up and about a week after spinal surgery ..no wonder you were ill again not long after ..please remember spinal surgery is always major .and recovery long .i know i am 17 year in pain 3 major operations and many painful procedures .and i know that rest after spinal surgery is very important .
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I was up and about the first time after surgery , this time I have rested for 4 weeks , only doing lit duties , I'm 5 weeks post op , and I was trying to catch my 2 year old who was attempting to run off , and leaned forward and think I have done something again to my back again I have no developed pains in my right arm and fingers as if I've trapped a nerve , and the pain is back in my leg and back , I don't go back till the 5th feb , what do I do
    Christine murphy
  • I would recommend calling your doctor on Monday. That's what you are paying them for. You could of just irritated some nerves and they are acting up now. They will most likely want you to do another scan of your back. Not trying to scare you but most surgeons will only do two discectomies before they want to fuse. At least that's the rule of thumb in my area. A fusion will totally change your life, there will NO bending, lifting, and twisting for three or more months. I also could take a year to heal from that type of surgery. I have had a two level fusion and I can no longer work. I go to the surgeon on Wednesday to discuss having another fusion. This will be my sixth surgery on my back. If you have any questions feel free to pm me anytime.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.