Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sudden onset finger numbness and pain after L5-S1 PLiF

Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum. Hoping for some advice or info. History includes a cervical fusion in 2001 ( sadly I can't recall exact level but believe it involved C4-C5). Great results and a ful recovery. In May of 2007 had a right side L5-S1 discectomy, with a revision laminectomy one month later due to a recurrent herniation at the same level when they removed additional hardened disc fragments. Again great results and a seemingly good recovery and Life was pretty good untill this past year when increasing familiar pain led me to another MRI showing two herniations and dehydration to this same disc and it was desided to do a PLiF at the same level, L5-S1. I had the fusion Nov 26, 2012 and aside from the expected and seemingly normal dredful painful legs, I also experienced immediately from the time of recovery numb and severely painful hands. The screaming level of pain would arrive upon waking every morning, swollen, stiff shooting pain as well as a burning feeling. Pain level would fluctuate some days better than others but was there every day for about the first 4-5 hours after waking up. Numbness never goes away though. usual pain meds, percocet, valium and zanaflex as the doctor felt sure these were all as with my leg pain, just muscle spasm. I found better relief with ice. On December 29th I awoke to stiff, swollen, hot and numb hands but the screaming pain has been gone ever since. Amen!! Doctor has reasurred me we will evaluate everything on my first check January 8th. I'd like some input from anyone out there who is willing to even sugggest what they have found through their own experience. Thanks so much even for just listening.

• Hi jcw, welcome here.

Does it sound like new cervical issue to you? Strange it was associated with the duration of the surgery?

Others may be able to comment, I can't.

Take care.
  • I had a 3 disc neck fusion (antior surgery) with plate in throat, screws, etc in neck. Now, two years later I cannot move my right arm (limited), my neck hurts like pre surgery and, my arm gets numb AND worse, my fingers on right are swollen, numb and I cannot grasp. HELP. has anyone had any of these issues? What can I do? My doctor was the worst and refuses to communicate! And, how can I find another doctor who isn't already intimidated by this "famous" doctor? NO ONE seems to want to "see" me, cause they all know him. HELP, please. I live in Salt Lake City. MUST find a GOOD neurosurgon