Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Adult tethered cord

I am 46 years old and had surgery in 2006 for tethered cord syndrome. I also had a large lipoma tumor that has infiltrated the dura and attached to the spinal cord. Parts of this were excised, and subsequently I experience periodic leakage of spinal fluid accompanied by horrendous headaches. I have done relatively well until one month ago when I developed the identical symptoms I had in 2006 except these are worse. I am having an MRI done this week, however, there is not a doctor here that will touch me. I had the original surgery at the Cleveland Clinic, and am hesitant to return there since my surgery was deemed a failure. Does anyone have any ideas, or suggestions for pysicians that specialize in tethered cord surgery? The only one I have been able to find is in California, which is not feasible living in Ohio.

• Check out Colorado there is one of the best spinal clinics in the world, just can't think of the name right now. You can also check out the mayo clinic. But also just because they considered your surgery a failure that is not really true they won't see you. It is a failure as they didn't conquer the pain you have. There are many of us whom have failed back surgery syndrome or really in our case it is failed neck surgery syndrome, but there isn't a ICD-9 code for that. If you have nerve damage it is going to be that way. Nerve damage can't be fixed and I am also guessing you had a condition called myelopathy, which is going to be a failure of sorts. The surgery is done to stop the progression but not necessarily to undo the damage that has been done. Actually you will live with the damage that has been done. So don't think because the first surgery failed to elevate your pain that they won't do surgery on you again. Good luck and keep us posted on your results of the MRI.