Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

De-Lovely pain!

When I first saw the movie De-Lovely, about the life of Cole Porter, back in 2004 I didn't pay much attention to the physical pain references it had. Now it's impossible for me to miss them. In short: When 46 years old Porter's legs were crushed when his horse shied and rolled directly over them. The half-ton horse's fall delivered compound fractures to both of Porter's thighbones
and provided the entryway for osteomyelitis. He never recovered and lived 25 years more in excrutiating pain. He underwent 34 operations, suffered from bone pain, nerve pain (from scar tissue pressing them) and phantom limb pain after one leg was amputated. However he continued to write high spirited tones. Ten years after his accident he made his biggest hit (Kiss Me, Kate) which ran for 1077 performances in New York and 400 in London.

It's difficult but life beyond pain is possible. I still have a long way learning to deal with it, but I must realize I'm not the only one suffering.

• I have to watch the movie De-Lovely again. I know that Kevin Kline was wonderful in the role. I too did not focus in on the pain aspect because at the time I was healthy and pain free. Today it's a different story. I do know many people who have lived productive, even outstanding lives filled with accomplishment in spite of chronic pain. I too have to remember there is life after chronic pain. Another famous person who comes to mind is Frida Kalo, the Mexican artist. Selma Hyak did a wonderful film biography on Kalo unfortunate bus accident and subsequent excruciating lifelong pain.

It's good to remember these role models. Also, John F. Kennedy, who suffered with back pain until his untimely death.
This discussion has been closed.