Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

home from ifuse surgery - need recovery suggestions

Hi all, after 15 years of pain, I finally found a surgeon willing to fuse my sacroiliac joint. I am home from the hospital, but have a few problems I did not expect. First, I am non weight bearing on my right side. My walker and wheelchair do not fit through my bathroom door. I can't change the door, so any suggestions for the next 8 - 16 weeks? Second, I can not sit up in a chair or on the couch very long. I have my daughters bed downstairs, but its not adjustable. Any thoughts of what I could use to make it so I can semi sit up? Pillows keep sliding out everywhere and I have to wait until someone comes to pick them all up. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!! Jennifer

• Sounds like you are going to need crutches. I know I have seen these wedge foam pillows in catalogs. Or maybe if you have a medical supply store someone could look there for you. How is your pain level having that IFuse? Best of luck for a speedy recovery. It's going to seem like a long time so take it one day at a time. Take care and let us know how you are doing when you can:-)
    Herniated disc C5 C-6, DDD, Fibromyalgia, Nerve damage both arms, Disc Decompression, SCS 2010, Si joint pain, many epidurals, mri's, trigger point injections. Nerve conduction tests, RFA 11/28/12, RLS
  • May i ask what were your symptoms before you decided to get the ifuse ?

Ifuse we all fuse, We all scream for ifuse !
    Sorry i get carried away with singing sometimes,

I was trying to rhyme I scream we all scream , We all scream for icecream !

And please dont ask me why i wrote that cause i have no idea , Its still early morning just waking up and meds not kicked in yet and cofee not ready yet , Maybe i need rehab i think i am addicted to cofee,
    Is there a rehab for cofee drinkers ? And what is it called ? Maxwelhouse ?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Cant believe I didn't think of crutches! Thanks fot the reply, that should defnitly work! I live in a rural area of West Virginia, so no medical supply company for the wedge. As for my story. Its taken me 15 years to convince the doctors here that sacroiliac pain is bad, so this is the first time I have had surgery. My injury occurred during my first pregnancy (25 years old). My son had a very large cranium and his head tore my sacroiliac joint ligaments. This led to pain and instability. I could not convince the doctor something was wrong because my x-ray and cat scan were normal. After years of pain and no onebelieving me, I started trying to figure it out on my own. When I finally got Internet access here a few years ago (Hughes net), I diagnosed my own injury. I work in environmental science and wildlife biology so I was able to understand a lot of the medical literature. It took several more years to find a doctor knowledgeable about si injuries who took it serious. At this point, I can 't do the wildlife work with the Forest Service anymore due to pain and risk of further injury from falling, so I had the surgery. My surgeon is very conservative, and feels the best chance for recovery is absolutly non weight bearing for many weeks, so now I wait.
  • I had Ifuse done and the non weight bearing only lasted for a few days then I was able to walk short distances. Hopefully your recovery goes quick.
  • Dakoop..how is your recovery? My Dr has only done a few of the IFuse and is still not completely happy with his outcomes. That's why he is being very conservative...plus not getting the implant exactly how he wanted them. Have you had good results? I seem to hear of a lot of people who are up right away, but a lot of mixed results. I was curious how your recovery is so far. I think I have less pain, at least the old pain is gone. The new pain is different and a lot less, except for the very weird pain in my leg. Wont really know until he lets me stand. That was my biggest pain generator. I hope you are doing well.
  • Hi Jennifer,
    You mentioned that your pillows keep slipping, have you tried using a body pillow? I usually fold my body pillow in half & that works for me. When I sit at the computer I sit on a coccyx foam cushion on my office chair and use a stepping stool (u can get them at Walmart or a dollarstore) and use this for my feet to rest on while I lean back in the chair. I also use an anti-gravity lawn chair to sit on during the day and for extra support I place a mesh lumbar support on it. I call it my "Therapy Chair" lol.
    I wish you a speedy recovery :)

Take Care.
  • I had hubby pull out our lawn chair. Very comfortable! We also cut a hole in a foam pillow, but I don't think its thick enough. At least ive hot different things to try which gives me things to do. Thanks!
  • There are several companies that sell them, I got mine at a local store dedicated to back relaxing if you get my drift. If you don't understand I can give you the name via PM.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • Thanks, every tip helps me get though the misery a little better!
  • I am 2 weeks and 4 days post-op. I went for my 2 week check-up on the 23rd. without the crutches. All is going very well and the post-op pain is minimal. I had a great doctor in Huntsville, Alabama. I am no longer having to take any pain meds, only a muscle relaxer every now and then. I am very pleased with the outcome. I have suffered with SI joint pain for over 2 years. I tried every conventional method possible before making this decision. If I can be of help to anyone please feel free to ask. God Bless.
  • I had two walkers.... one directly inside the RR for me to use and leave in the RR for the door reason.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Sometimes the easiest solution is the easiest to overlook! That will be perfect! Really appreciate it.
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 01/28/2013 - 1:26 PM
    my husband came up with that brilliant idea....lol.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • bassetmommybbassetmommy Posts: 50
    edited 01/28/2013 - 7:15 PM
    hi- i hope you are doing a bit better!

i read about your issue with not being able to adjust your bed. i bought one of these edit after my first surgery and it was a godsend.

it's fully adjustable, goes between the mattress and box spring with hand held control. while not cheap, you could continue to use it, even after you recover. i gave mine away when i was moving, and now i am having a fusion on march 4. i'm going to purchase another one.

best to you, and if this link fails, look up "genie mattress riser" on amazon.

Link removed, solicitation not permitted
    Post Edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team
  • I wonder if we can add this to the preparing for surgery page. Many others had the same problem.there are many people this could help....sorry you have to get another though! Sure seems worth it. I hope your upcoming surgery is helpful!
This discussion has been closed.