Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal fusion post-op pain?

After your healing time (months/years) have you found your pain to be worse or better?
be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ••• Dr. Seuss

• My last fusion was done in late June 2012 and I have no pain from the fusions that I have had. I quit taking pains meds ages ago. However, I do have another herniated disc which is causing some major sciatica. I am having another MRI on Friday and I have an appointment with NS next week to discuss having another fusion. I can only hope my future fusion recovery goes as smoothly as my other two.

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • I wish you luck
    be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ••• Dr. Seuss
  • Hi CassandraL,

I have just yesterday started a thread, have a read at it as there is a common stage (it seems) post op which is Nerve compression causing siatica. I have had a further decompression after the main op and still suffer with radiating pain as I had prior to the first operation.
    I se my surgeon and GP (friend and ex-surgeon) on Tuesday so I will post feedback with their opinions then.

I have to say I dont regret the operations, yet, as i couldnt carry on as I was. I am 43 and that is too young to consider giving things up.

Adrian - UK
  • Hi,

I have been back to see surgeon and my GP 3 days ago. I have gone through the motions and the response from the surgeon was that there could be an underlying infection (for which I have done blood tests and not heard back so am assuming for this not to be the case). it could also and most likely be muscle wastage from excessive resting etc.

I have been going to the pool for hydro theraphy now for 3 weeks (every other day - 3 times a week max) and am gradually increasing reps on all exercises. I have also been told I can go cycling now so will be doing this tomorrow.

Essentially the back pain is being based on muscular wastage, for which I am building up gradually again. I have also lost just about 20 pounds (now 230Lbs and aim to lose a further 10-15 Lbs) which is all taking stress off back clearly.

I am happy so far, but have been told that if the pain persists past the next 4-6 weeks or indeed gets worse then I should call surgeon straight away.

Even with all this I am signed off for a further 2 months from work, which involves a lot of international travel and long hours and both the surgeon and GP does not think I am ready for that yet.

Adrian - UK