Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI scheduled, another fusion in my future

I had fusions in Feb and June of last year. In total I am fused L3 through L5. I have a MRI scheduled for Friday and NS surgeon appointment next week. I already know that L5-S1 is herniated, they rescanning it to see how much worse it has become. Since my last MRI I have developed severe sciatica, numbness, and weakness in my right leg. I am to the point where I cannot drive anymore. I do have some concerns though. How much more range of motion am I going to lose if I have L5-S1 fused? Will I eventually develop SI joint problems after adding L5-S1? I have of heard of people having SI problems after a L5-S1 fusion.
Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.

• I had L4-5, L5-S1 fusion, and I asked about range of motion. I was told that because those levels are so low that it wouldn't affect range of motion. I hadn't heard about SI problems after L5-S1 fusion. I'll have to ask my surgeon about that when I see him next week.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 01/10/2013 - 1:49 PM
    I am not sure why your doctor would say l4l5 and l5s1 is too low to lose motion , Thats your core and gets the most beating and is the reason most have issues with those discs, Of course you lose motion at thiose levels and is the reason often they try to put an adr in when it becomes 3 levels,
    L4l5l5s1 holds all the weight of your uper body and you bend mostly at those levels just to put your shoes on ,

You had those levels fused you said right ? How do you feel ?

Si joint problem can hapen from any of the fusions ! Nobody can say if it will or will not hapen ,!
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,