Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Work Injury?

So here is my problem.

Four years ago, I fell down at my job on my tailbone. I started having bad lower back problems, and was given workman's comp for physical therapy. What the Physical Therapist said was that my lower back muscles needed electroshock or whatever it is, to get them to strengthen. It didn't really work and this pain has consistently gotten worse. Currently, My hamstrings are so tight that if I sit with my back straight against a wall, it is impossible to get my knees to lie flat. I'm completely unable to touch my toes (and I mean bad.) When I sit in the car and I kick my foot too far too fast, it feels like I have a whiplash up my leg. My Sciatic is always giving me trouble, whether I'm standing or even sitting the wrong way for too long. I cannot sit in most restaurants as the chairs make my leg go crazy. This is all in my left leg by the way. When I do normal hamstring stretches, my foot starts to tingle and go numb. So i'm wondering if this is all coming from my injury, or is there possibly a bigger problem that I need analyzed. I haven't been to the doctor about it, as I have only recently gotten health insurance, and I could not afford big hospital bills, as I am a 23 year old student. I can't find any reliable answers anywhere, so I figured I should try here.

• Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
    edited 01/08/2013 - 4:10 PM
    Welcome. Did you ever settle your WC claim?

Check the SH dermatome map and see where the problems "might" be coming from. You can fond it in the FAQ section, I think. If not, do a search.

Having an idea where this is coming from might make a difference in your claim if it isn't closed. In any case, that kind of pain has to be checked for deeper issues to be addressed.

Update us and then we can help you more, hopefully. Take care,
  • BTW, I'm experiencing the same exact thing and am 3+ weeks out of lumbar fusion.
  • Yes, the WC claim has been finished. My biggest problem with that is that A. it would be too late to re-open it, and B. I feel like kind of a jerk about it. Either way, I have better health insurance through a different job now. Th closest thing on that map that I *think* it may be could possibly be my SI joint. My main concern now is whether or not is is Spinal, or if it is just muscular. I've been thinking about maybe trying a Chiropractor to see if I am out of alignment. I imagine if this doesn't help, I would see if it is a slipped disc issue. If it was muscular I imagine I could try more exercises or even deep tissue massage, but I don't know. It just hurts and I haven't been able to find much online about it. When I lay down on my stomach, it kind of feels (for the first five minutes or so) like my spine is curved a bit. The best comparison I can make is to picture the way a pregnant woman stands. I feel like my spine is curved that way. I just don't know:(
  • The pain starts right above my left buttock, and when I'm sitting, if I shift my hips, I can feel the pain. If I am sitting with my knees bent up, slouching (I know not good as it is) my leg pain isn't there as much. It's only when my legs are stretched, and my back is straight, or when I am standing or sitting in a chair too long that my Sciatic pain happens.
  • done a search at the top of the SH web page? I just did and it brought up three good articles for you to read up on. I typed in Sciatic Pain and here are the three I found that might help you:

Each of these come with little sidebars too that can help in your research. Most of us here are afraid of going to a chiropractor, not because we feel they're useless or quacks (they do have their specialties and can be helpful in CERTAIN situations) but because of the fear that they'll do more harm than good. If you go to one who doesnt do xrays or know about the spine, they could do something that shouldn't be done. You'd need to find a good Chiro othat knows about spines because if it is spine-related, you don't want someone doing more damage than there already is.

I know about the pain you're talking about because I'm living with it right now. Everything you describe I'm feeling too. I'm on a Medrol pack to reduce inflammation in case that's what's causing this severe nerve pain. I just started Monday, so don't know if it's helping yet. But something is definitely pressing on that sciatic nerve and since I just had surgery, the fear is that it's scar tissue, the new hardware or something else they'll have to go back in and fix. So hopefully it's just inflammation, the Medrol will take care of the problem and I won't have to go back under the knife.

Take a look at the articles and then put Chiropractor or chiropractic care in the search area and see what SH says about that kind of treatment. Do some research before you delve into anything, don't just assume. Especially since you've had previous SI joint issues. You may end up looking for a fellowship-trained spine surgeon instead. That doesn't necessarily mean surgery as they have tons of treatments at their disposal like injections, etc. They'll always try those first unless it's a no-brainer, which is rare.

Anyway, keep us posted on what you find out and what you end up doing.
  • driftyheadddriftyhead Posts: 4
    edited 01/09/2013 - 6:02 AM
    Ok! I'll start with these articles, and when I go for my physical I will bring this to my doctor. I'll be back with updates.
  • Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
    edited 01/09/2013 - 3:44 PM
    Great to see you being you're own advocate and educating yourself before seeing anybody. Do keep us posted. Good job - I'm rooting for noninvasive cure.

This discussion has been closed.