Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just had transforaminal injection

eadubyeeaduby Posts: 100
edited 01/10/2013 - 6:53 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Yesterday morning went for my transforaminal injection in the C6-7 area. Based on what I have seen in my MRIs, the response, and the path of pain I am feeling. I have been quite sure that there is stenosis in the foramen causing my problems, although pain management has been refusing to listen to me.

Luckily I was able to convince them to do this block to find out whether the pain was coming from this level of my spine at least.

My pain was at about a 7 when I went in, and when he injected the dye to confirm proper location it immediately went up to a 9 the burning pain throughout my usual pain track was agonizing. As he did the injection of the steroids I thought I was going to pass out from the severe stabbing/burning pains throughout my neck, shoulder, arm, hand, and middle and ring fingers.

They immediately gave me a bunch of ice after to try and calm down the pain but it took awhile there was severe numbness and tingling in my hand, fingers, and forearm, and severe pain in my upper arm, shoulder blade, and neck.

Now about 24 hours later, feeling quite a bit better. The pain in my shoulder is still a bit more severe than usual, but the pain in my neck is back to normal. My hand is a bit numb and off, but less painful than it was before the procedure, and my forearm is much less painful than before the procedure.

So I'm assuming this means that it is confirmed that the pain is coming from that area? They didn't schedule another block and instead the doctor scheduled me for an office visit in a month.
Microlaminectomy and discectomy at C7-T1 on April 26th.

• You should keep a pain diary over the month to see how it goes in the long run and report those findings to the doctor. Because you think you have gotten immediate relief, the week and next week will tell if this is the case. As you should get complete relief of the symptoms with the block. I have done several blocks and it almost is a cause for celebration, the pain relief that you get, and depending on what was in the injection it can last longer, than a week. So I would keep that journal till your next appointment.