Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Torn Scar Tissue or Re-herniation

Hi Everyone,

It's been forever since I posted, but wanted to write to see if anyone may be able to help me with my current situation. I had a microdisectomy w/ laminectomy of my L5S1 in early October 2011. I did PT from November until May 2012 and other then the usual flareup for a few days, I have to say things seemed successful. Unfortunately, I did get lazy doing my PT at home and I think I messed things up this up almost two weeks ago. Not to be TMI, but was using the ladies room, went to clean up, and felt a tearing, stretching across my left side (left of the incision site). That night it felt a bit off and since then I have been having nerve pain in both legs (moreso at night) and a dull burning sensation at the incision site. I have tried the straight leg test at home, as well as running in place, jumping, etc. Other then a burning in the back once I stop these things (2 seconds at the most of the burning), it stops. It hurts mostly when I am sitting or lying down. I'm trying to replicate some of the things I knew bothered me during the first herniation. I'm wondering if there is anything that is left to herniate in that disc (my surgeon said he removed what was the equivalent of an adult male's thumb). I tried self treating with ibuprofren but finally called the doctor's office who started me on prednisone for 5 days and said if it still hurts after a week or two after the prednisone, call for an MRI. She did say most re-herniations occur within 3 months of the discectomy itself. I'm just a nervous wreck - I have a four year old daughter and I'd hate for her to have to go through Mommy having surgery again. Also, we are going to Disney in 4 weeks and again, I would hate to be in pain and ruin the experience. As you can see, I worry about everyone else. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Was it torn scar tissue? Was it a re-herniation? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Hope everyone is doing well and recovering quickly and pain free.

• tamtamttamtam Posts: 2,749
    edited 01/10/2013 - 7:02 AM
    Congrats on your progress thus far, sounds like your really doing well. Hopefully the medications will help things out for you. Have you considered going and getting a massage. You might try some massage therapy also to break down the scar tissue. It is not to late to keep up with the things you have learned. I would get to the walking though. Hopefully it was nothing more than some scar tissue at the incision sight.
  • I am only a few months post-L5S1 microD but I figured Id share some info that might be pertinent. One I was active again - say 4 weeks post-op and until very recently, I would experience what I would call a nerve "pinch" or "twinge" whenever I made certain movements, like bending my legs into a squat while keeping my back straight to pick something up. It would pinch as I bent down for just a second, and then again when I stood up. It was definitely nerve pain, but not a constant stabbing, burning, etc A 1-2 as opposed to a 8-9, and just for a second. And it was also very high up, limited to the buttock/sciatic notch area. I reported this to both my surgeon and pysical therapist. My straight leg raise test would also just produce a slight "pinch" in that once area when I started and stopped the motion - nothing down the leg, nothing sustained. None of them regard this as a possible reherniation, but as the nerve root still being sensitive, in this case to changes of pressure on it as I moved.