Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovery time to contact sport after cervical fusion

Hi, I had a disc disectomy of c6-c7 5 years ago and just had fusion with zero p 2 weeks ago. My life style has been physically extreme from going back to army parachuting when I was younger to proffessional fighting in Muay Thai and training crossfit which includes gymnastics and Olympic lifting. I am 75 kg and only a few weeks ago could deadlift 170 kg. now I am told I can do 5 kg. I have no pain and walking 4 hours a day because I am going out of my mind cause I am not aloud to do anything else. My surgeons don't understand the mechanics of my sports so they can't properly advise me. Does anyone know how long before I can do what I did and how to progress to that level over which time increments?

• just adding on the fusion 2 weeks ago was C5C6
  • StitchGnomercySStitchGnomercy Posts: 64
    edited 02/06/2013 - 5:13 PM
    Wish I had an answe for you. I'm 3 weeks out from my l5/s1 TLIF and I would love getting back to Crossfit, kickboxing, and Crossfit (haven't been able to do any of it for over a year).
    1/16/2013 Minimally invasive TLIF with rods, screws, and cage on L5/S1 joint to treat grade 2 spondylolysthesis, pars defect, degenerative disc disease. Dealt with chronic pain & nerve issues since at least 2007.
  • I am 9 weeks out from an acdf and was a competing equestrian and horse trainer before my surgery. i would not even consider getting back on a horse for more than 6 months from surgery but in truth I may wait the entire year it takes to fully fuse my neck. Why wait? Because of the risks created by doing too much too soon. The more concussive activities we engage in potentially the more we risk collapsing the adjascent disks and creating scar tissue which will utlimately mimick the symptoms we had to begin with. Also when we begin engaging out bodies like we did when we are healthy before the solid bone grows all around our fusion site we are placing all the force and weight of our skulls and brain on the plates, screw and bones which were just placed. So before you decide to go ahead and start playing football, or cycling 100 miles, or get back into boxing- ask yourslef he question- Is it worth it? You have just this one neck. Just these two hands- which are innervated by the nerves that come out of that section of your spine. I would take this year and make it your business to heal. Forget everything else. this should be your priority. You. Your body. Honor it. don't risk it all becuase you are impatient. The risk is there. Doctors will tell you "they fixed it" and that after 3 months you should be good to go- but listen to your body. Understand the real risk and know that it does take a full year for your body to finally stop growing bone around your fusion. Your body says that it is done healing after a year or so. Why would you risk anything great before that? I'm not.