Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New-Is this really Fibro? can i have Fibro along w this other stuff?

i have had low back pain for over 10 yrs...ive seeing a pain dr since may. I have done chiro care, PT, meds, radiofrequecy neourpathy, Lumbar Transforaminal Epidural Steroid Injection all with no relief longer than a month for my lowerback

DX w Degen. Disc; Lumbar Radioculopathy; lumbar spondylosis, and most recenlty Fibromyalgia.

Seen a Rheumotologist,who jsut said my blood was normal and my fam dr wants me to go back to a diff Rheumo who she likes better.. Rheumo & pain dr gave me the DX of fibro because of my lower back pain, and random bouts of pain in areas of my body, areas near my collar bone have been tender for past 3 months, somtimes my arms hurt so bad i wake up at night, somtimes my big toe will be super sore, or my back of my neck. these random pains, I call phantom pains (lol) only hurt for a few days, then go away. The chest areas hurt everyday though. These random pains gave me the Fibro dx i guess...

Im soo depressed. i really lack energy.... i feel it mostly stems from my non stop sore back. My lower back hurts and hurts.nothing realy gives relief! my pain dr wont give me narcotics or a patch. i take Gabapentin 300 mg 3 xs a day (since being dxed w fibro; an antidepressant; tramadol & tizanidine as needed for pain; and an antiinflamitory every day.

I had a LumbarTransforminal Epideral Steriod injection on a week ago monday to my RT side becasue i was in HORRIBLE TERRIBlE PAIN, it worked! (so far anyways) on that side. BUT i wish he woudl do on both sides! my LS is still hurting..(Not my first LTES injection-left side been done many times-along w a Radiofrequency neroupathy & medial branch block-non have hellped my Left side))

I wonder if I trust doctors-it seems as if they are just shooting in the wind trying to dx me. they are willing to inject me and burn off my nerves in lower back- yet not willing to give me a darn pain patch to apply to area-idont get why. My dr says that my Fibro that he just recently dxed me wiht is why im in so much pain-that im just feeling extra pain from the fibro and that pain meds dont fix it. IS THIS TRUE?
Do you feel like your docs are just guessing???

• tamtamttamtam Posts: 2,749
    edited 01/10/2013 - 6:34 AM
    Sometimes they are guessing in sense. Medicine is called science for a reason. But they are Dxing based on the symptoms you give them along with the clinical exams and test they run. That is why it is so important we as patience give good information as to the pain where having. You have to know the pain the best first. For example where it is located and what kind of pain it is. Be it stabbing, shooting, stabbing, aching and so on. What makes it better and what makes it worse. There is always something that makes it better be it laying down, icing, walking, moving around and so on. We recommend to many here to keep a journal of the pain, as you have to know it best.

Keep in mind that is not just going to be one thing that works on the pain, but a multiple of treatments. Of course medications are going to help. But also you have to do your part with proper diet and regular exercise. The best thing you can do for your back is walk, and keep walking. You have to keep your core body strength up. You can google walking programs and find them on the net.

There are many post here dealing with fibro have a read at them and see what others are saying is working. That might help you out some. But also read the about back issues and what can help. Have you been in physical therapy? My guess as to why they are not injection the other side, may have to do with the imaging and the diagnoses. When is the last time you had imaging done on your back? Maybe you need a new set of images if it has been longer than a year. Also I did see you have tramadol now, that is a pain medications, so it should help with the pain.
  • it will be one yr in Feb since i had my MRI. Pt makes it all worse.
  • MwylieMMwylie Posts: 15
    edited 03/19/2013 - 3:50 AM
    I was reading about how you said they won't give you any pain patches to help with your pain. I just wanted to suggest asking for Lidoderm patches...they are rx lidocaine patches. I am in CONSTANT pain but don't have any diagnosis yet....I've been on Vicodin and Robaxin for almost a year, and this past week has been terrible but I found a patch my mom gave me to try and it really works great on those trigger points. Hopefully if you can get some they will help you :) good luck!
  • Mwylie said:
    I was reading about how you said they won't give you any pain patches to help with your pain. I just wanted to suggest asking for Lidoderm patches...they are rx lidocaine patches. I am in CONSTANT pain but don't have any diagnosis yet....I've been on Vicodin and Robaxin for almost a year, and this past week has been terrible but I found a patch my mom gave me to try and it really works great on those trigger points. Hopefully if you can get some they will help you :) good luck!
    I've tried the lidoderm patches myself for back and neck pain and they work wonders. As far as your fibromyalgia goes, you may want to talk to your doc about switching meds out once a month. I have found that switching out your meds will help with keeping your pain under control. After a certain point your body gets used to the meds and they are no longer work as well as they did to begin with. So switching out your meds once a month really seems to work very well. One month on certain meds, then one on others. Then you simply switch back and forth. You can see about spanning them out for more than a month at a time and see how that works. I wish you the very best in 2014. It's a new year with new beginnings. Good luck to you, and you're in my thoughts and prayers. Please feel free to PM me anytime if you need to vent or simply need someone to talk to. May God Bless you and keep you in good spirits.
    Low back pain, sacroiliac joint pain, neck pain & swelling, nerve pain, fibromyalgia, fatigue, osteoarthritis, painful periods, ovarian cysts, bipolar disorder & MDD, anxiety, insomnia, asthma, & hbp.

~ Shell ~
  • TracyLynneTTracyLynne Posts: 598
    edited 01/13/2014 - 3:09 AM
    FYI, sometimes the doctor injects one side to test whether or not the pain on the other side is referred. Fibro is miserable, there is no question, but the best thing to do is find a simple activity that works for you (I attend gentle yoga twice a week, and it has been amazing) and learn your limitations. As for meds, I have never found anything that works very well, other than Gabapentin (I take 1200 mg at night) to ease the nerve pain in some areas and help with sleep. I have had long periods of remission, then I get slammed with the all-over pain again. I am trying to reduce things like sugar and other refined foods, as well as dairy....it's all worth a try! Fibro is a complex syndrome, unfortunately, and everyone has different symptoms, though we all have the tender points.

I hope you are able to find some relief; if you are able to talk to a counselor, it would be good for you; something we often forget when we are dealing with chronic pain such as fibro is that we grieve the loss of so many things in life.

• hello i've been reading all the posts regarding fibromyalgia...and i don't want to settle for this diagnosis. are the drs. really taking this diagnosis seriously now? 15 years ago they suggested i had fibro..and now i have had leg weakness and foot drag for a year and am walking with a walker when outside the home...i can't believe this is the final diagnosis....my neurologist is testing for MS because of the relapsing remitting issues for the years but this past year has been progressive .
  • i was told 14 years ago i had fibromyalgia....now i am walking with a walker and have all the symptoms of MS or ALS....and they are now saying i have 'myofascitis' and an over excitable central nervous system? i agree with you about being so tired to the point of depression! i have muscle twitches, fasciculations mostly in my right calf and left wrist...along with all the spine and lumbar issues you have....drs realize i am in pain but no one has suggested any type of injection yet. should i request an orthopedist or rheumatologist?
  • if none of the imaging studies have shown MS, then it might be time to seek out a different neurologist and start over with another doctor. Foot drop is not a symptom of fibromyalgia......A rheumotologist might be somewhat helpful but I would start with a different neurologist first.
  • thanks everyone for your insite into my issues! i started in home physio yesterday and a have started treatment with a Tens machine...hoping this will help some....i feel good this morning...but know as soon as i start my day, cooking, laundry it will start up again.. take good care too
  • Julie ShriveJJulie Shrive Posts: 8
    edited 06/20/2014 - 10:28 PM
    5.18 Spine-health.com reserves the right to edit, monitor and/or delete comments at our discretion without notice.
    Post Edited by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team
  • prior to my surgery I was diagnosed (years and years ago) with fibro, & with myofacial pain syndrome... i also - when i was 19 had a bout with what they think now was mono, which caused CFS... it would NOT surprise me in the least if some of these things are related... I feel like garbage now.. a lot of the time, which ... talking with pain mgmt., she isn't surprised that these things have re-surfaced after surgery.. it's a lot more of a shock to the system than we all think!! (or, that i thought!)
  • I have similar symptoms with no diagnosis yet. I started using pain meds just to get through my work day. then my usage increased as my body became more tolerant of the meds. Before I knew it I was up to 10 Norco a day and 10 Tramadol. I did develop an addiction which I've struggled to deal with. Pain meds are ok for short term but are troublesome for chronic use. Before long I was taking meds just to feel normal but they did nothing for pain. I don't blame my doctor. It is really our choice on how we manage our pain. Just suggesting from my experience if you have dealt with it for this long without the meds then try to stick it out. Tramadol was a better pain killer in my opinion anyway when used properly.