Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A vicious circle

Well as of today this is where I am at. My "interventional pain management" doc has discharged me saying there isn't anything else I can do go see this neruosurgeron, but I will write you a script for Norco 5/325 to last you until you se this new doctor. Combining this new medication with Lyrica was working a bit. The pain management doc stopped the muscle relaxer also. So I go to see the new doc (the neurosurgeon) who has ordered a new set of scoliosis series x-rays and c you in 2 weeks, I ask him to possible write for a refill on the Norco, he doesn't write for pain meds for me to call the pain management doc. So I did and he said since you are discharged from my care I cannot do that, call your primary. My primary was the doc thaty sent me to the spinal doc because he doesn't write for pain meds either!!! Everyday now its the same thing morning pain at a 5 and by bedtime its at a 8 sometimes 9. I am going to have to change my primary doc and maybe find someone who is closer to home, recommended by my neighbors. Right now I just feel like I am falling through the cracks just dealing with the scoliosis pain and the cervical stenousis pain and the docs don't care don't understand my pain muscle and nerve I bet if they were experiencing the same pain we all feel they might be more sympathetic

Scoliosis in t-3, t-4, and t-5, degenerative cervical/spine disease, and sensory poluneropathy

• I can't believe your pain management doctor "discharged" you. I thought they are the ones who are supposed to treat pain and monitor your pain meds! Before my surgery my pain doc gave me enough meds to last 'til the surgery and I'm supposed to see her again in a couple of weeks - post surgery. I agree with you that I'd find a new pain doc and primary.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • he was, as I have learned, an "interventional" pain management doc all I saw that he did was invasive procedures the interventional ones try treatments to relieve the pain more long term sadly they did not help.so I guess there is a difference between pain management and interventional pain management. Sometimes it is so confusing
    Scoliosis in t-3, t-4, and t-5, degenerative cervical/spine disease, and sensory poluneropathy
  • I would personally recommend finding a new PM Dr. but one who believes in using all modalities to help with your pain. When calling around you can ask, "Does Dr. X use a comprehensive approach to pain management using both non medicinal and medicinal means?" Tell them you are open to doing everything that can help you get to a decent pain level to live your life. This way you don't freak them out by looking like you are only asking for pain meds. They are very "guarded" over the phone so many of them won't mention medication at all until they see you and read your medical records.

I would request a copy of your medical records so you can make sure this other PM hasn't written anything in there before seeing a new Dr. as they will get the records sent over themselves. Hopefully he wrote down that you are discharged by mutual agreement.

Thankfully you are on a fairly low dosage of the Norco (Hydrocodone) that if you run out before finding a new Dr. you won't be too bad off withdrawal wise.

Let us know how it goes...

• These places are a joke ive been to 3 in pa after their injections they say dont come back nothing else we can do.
    why are they even open? Rick ncpa
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Throughout the country (I can not speak for over seas) there are differences between states which sometimes dictate what certain doctors can and can not do. Some of that is based on credentials and certifications.

Pain management doctors concentrates on pain control. Many use the conventional Spinal Injections and Medications in helping control this pain. I believe in what pain management doctors are trying to do. But for many, their scope is somewhat shallow. I am not saying this in a condescending way, just stating what I have seen from my personal experiences.

I believe the physiatrist is the best doctor to deal with chronic pain patients. These doctors diagnose, treat and manage pain through a vast source of resources. They do not perform any surgery, but they can coordinate everything that is required to help someone in chronic pain live in a more functional manner. The best will combine both Western and Eastern medical approaches.

I've been extremely fortunate to be under the control of an outstanding physiatrist for over 6 years now. We've tried
    dozens of various conventional, alternative and unconventional treatments to help get me where I am today.

When you research who should be the best to work with you, take a close look at physatrists.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • When I had an instantaneous severe problem, I sought help from several doctors. At one point the neurologist sent me to PT. The therapist refused to treat me because he lacked faith in the neurologist's diagnosis. PT recommended to the neurologist to send me to a physiatrist. He sent over the paperwork, she accepted me but it was three months before she could first see me. Note she is the only physiatrist in my area. After waiting for those three months, one week prior to the appointment, they cancelled me deciding they couldn't help after all. I guess I really don't get it, I had thought the physiatrist would act as a coordinator in working out what was wrong. Instead for me, my muscles just got three extra months to wither away. Just one bad experience without ever even having face to face contact. :(
This discussion has been closed.