Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 S1 Fusion 6 week update

Hi! I am about 6 weeks out from my fusion (360 L5 S1) and thought I would post progress.

In general, in spite of hellish hospital stay,etc (see previous posts), I think the surgery was a success. I am still in quite a bit of pain. I am currently on following meds:
Neurontin 2700 mg daily
Oxycodone 90mg daily (I split it up into 6 15mg doses daily, with dosages closer together at night to help with sleeping; I was waking up every 2-3 hours in pain..this way , I have found, it is much more tolerable).
Diclofenac 75mg twice a day
Flexiril (can't recall doasge) twice a day
Valium 10 mg at night

I also supplement with a Tylenol here and there, as well as coral calcium and vitamin C supplements.

I am walking without a cane or walker as of yesterday. I am walking about 3 blocks twice a day. I can drive, and can walk from one side of Walmart to the other, and that is about as much as I can comfortably do.

The original pre-surgical pain is gone, for the most part, except for my hip pain, which I attribute to the nerves still healing.

My Xrays look good- all hardware still in place, but, ouch! Gosh, sometimes, it is teeth-clenching painful if I try to put off a dose of pain meds! Told doc to give me a bullet, so I can either bite on it or shoot myself! But I am feeling positive, and know it will take time.

Thanks to all who have responded to my posts with positive stories of their fusion experiences! And good luck to all those awaiting or contemplating this surgery.

• Keep your head up. Im 3 weeks post op. From a tlif. I still have some pain but about the only time i take anything is at night. 15mg of oxcontin and 10mg of oxycodone. Mostly just to help me relax and sleep. Good luck!