Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi! New to forum

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to share my story. I've known since December 2005 that I had significant lower back degeneration. At that time I had the starting of neck degeneration. I believed what my new Chiropractor told me at that time. He believed he could prevent further degeneration. Fast forward to November of last year. At the 12 hour mark of a shift at work I noticed a most least numbness on the thumb side of my index finger. It took me two days to believe that it was real. 48 hours before the incident I noticed a mid-trapezius knot that turned into many knots throughout my right upper back (same side as my index ringer). The following week my Chiropractor did an X-ray and noted degeneration with posterior bone spurs. At that point my gut told me to stop messing around and goto my PCP. He was not there but his partner felt my Chiro was on point and that it would subside in a few weeks. The knots in my back and index mostly have subsided. Now I have tingling that specifically occurs at a computer. I have no tingling in my index finger, palm on thumb side, triceps occassionally, forearm and neck during PT. Being that I am the head medical advocate (my PCP has not shown any concern) I requested an MRI. I wanted to know if there was something going that made my neck a "ticking time bomb." Here are the MRI results:

No abnormal signal in spine

C4-5 uncovertebral spurring - mild left neural foriminal narrowing

C5-6 mild broad based disc osteophyte greater on right and uncovertebral spurring resulting in mild to moderate right and mild left neural foraminal narrowing.

C6-7 moderate central disc osteophyte and uncovered rap spurring resulting in mild central canal stenosis. Small inferiorly directed disc profusion not excluded.

Cervical spondylitis greatest at c6-7 c5-6.

I am a 35 yr old long torso 6'1" adrenaline junkie. I rode dirt bikes in the past including a concussion in 1997. I mountain bike and rode bike religiously. I used to rep 315 lbs on the squat. I have a 4 yr old that I love to put over my shoulders as we walk. I dream of having a 14 year old that mountain bikes behind me.

My feelings are that the c6-7 disc protrusion is causing the initial index finger numbness. I think the sporadic (or spuradic ha!) tingling in my arm is coming from the spurs in the foraminal areas.

I think that my options are to get an injection or have a procedure that grinds away the spurs giving me to tingling. I have switched to using my left hand at work which is drastically helping. I stand a lot at a do not i notice any symptoms.

I think what is going to happen, is that I will deal with modifying my condition for the next year to few years. At some point it will develop into muscular weakness and tingling on the left side. When weakness occurs, I will need surgery as long as Healthcare Reform allows it.

My number 1 worry is my son feeling bad I have to limit the extent of our activities due to my condition.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any responses. Please excuse any grammar errors. My wife is upset with the pity party I'm having and expects production from me at home. Thanks again!

• Sorry ya had to find us but glad you did. Has doc referred you to spine doc yet...
    Sorry we don't read MRI's .
    It is hard for anyone even closest family to us. Has taken my family long time. If we had more physical signs maybe we'd get more compassion.
    I am firmly against Chiro's I started with one and she made things worse off. She did fix my locked neck but the more I saw her of course I trusted she knew her stuff.
    Many yrs later I am in more pain then ever.
    I hope you can get into see a spine doc soon. It is hard without support from your pcp.

How old is your son? there are many ways to spend good time with kids without being able to run around.
    Keep reading the forums, so many neckies can help you out.

I would print out the "letters to normals " and have your wife read it. type it in search box, its very good.
    Again Welcome
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Hi Mary,

My son is 3 and I have not scheduled an appointment with a spine speciaist but plan to soon.l
  • I agree with starsinhereyes that seeing a chiro for neck issues is not necessarily the best idea. My pain management doctor kept pushing me to see one but I didn't like the idea so I didnt, and when I saw my PCP on Thursday she was strongly against me going saying that without a firm diagnosis on what is wrong with my neck I shouldn't be having a chiro messing around with such a sensitive area.

In my experience family support came with time. Early on there was a sense of resentment from my husband when I wasn't able to handle doing as much around the house. Now six months later it is much worse and I can do much less, but there is much more support now that he is used to it and he has been to countless doctor appointments to me and seen what I am going through month after month.

I have a three year old son and a one year old daughter, so I completely understand your concerns there. It is hard because you really can't do everything you want to with them. At that age they don't fully understand why you can't run around and give in to their every demand. I tell my kids that I'm 'broken' and 'hurt' and they accept that but it doesn't mean they like it. We still sit and do calm games and toys, or watch movies but since my neck issues radiate down my right arm and I'm right handed it limits me even more from doing some of the quite activities such as coloring.
    Microlaminectomy and discectomy at C7-T1 on April 26th.
  • Can't add a lot to what has already been said. I would definately get to see a spine doc. I had/have similar issues and after losing muscle strength in my left arm had a laminectomy in 2008. yes it stopped the weakness, didn't do anything for the pain, it was a necessary operation. Fast forward 5 years and now looking at eventually having a 3 level fusion both cervical and lumbar, got it at both ends...
    I was a marathon runner and when I gave that up due to joint pain and arthritis I took up mountain biking for a little added excitement. Now that is also out the window.
    I grew up with a father that had back issues and withdrew to a bottle to sooth his pain. There were times I doubted his issues as I couldn't see his spine. I was resentful that he didn't spend any time with me, booze became his companion.
    I understand more now and we have a good relationship, he is 30 years sober. My advice would be to let you kids in/don't hide from them and they will understand. There is more than one way to be involved in your kids life.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched