Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

It's never over

lstellerllsteller Posts: 1,428
edited 01/12/2013 - 5:57 PM in Chronic Pain
I think we just talked about this recently. I had my three-level 360° spinal fusion in November 2008. It took me over 18 months to recover, and I was actually feeling pretty good. Sure, I get stiff and painful every now and then, but it hasn't been too bad, especially when I think back to how I was before surgery, barely being able to move, nevermind walk, without screeching in pain. Well, I've had to have a lot of work done on my house lately and, I'm not sure it's related, but I had to request part-time employment with my former employer (I'm retired) again so I can pay for the repairs. Shortly after them telling me that yes, they wanted me, and asking me to send in my resume, I got this really bad sciatica going down my left leg. Usually, my sciatica is down my right leg. It got worse and worse and, by Thursday night, I couldn't sleep and was writhing around in the bed, on the couch, on the ice pack, going nuts all night. I was fortunate to get an appointment with my internist yesterday. Because I had driven in, they couldn't give me dilaudid, but they did give me an injection of toradol, which surprisingly, worked really well. I had them give it to me right over the area of most pain. That, coupled with some muscle relaxers, helped the burning pain to stop. I have prednisone in case it gets worse, but I think I can avoid it for now.

So, just so you know, that fused spine can still cause you trouble down the line. Hopefully, if you have a great doc like I do, you'll have it under control in no time.

Edit: so funny - the spelling editor thought toradol (an anti-inflammatory) should be toreador. Yep, it did feel like I was getting those little spike the toreador shoves into the bulls spine in my own. Is that a spine-health exclusive? JK
3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.

• Sorry you're going through this new pain, but glad you have a great doc that cares and helps. I also have that kind of doc, so I guess we should consider ourselves lucky. Hope it stays manageable.

That's pretty cool that you can go back to your previous employment part time when you need to. I think that's an awesome arrangement and wish I could do the same.

Take care of youself!
  • My primary has given me Toradol and steroid shot before for knee, elbow and back pain and it helps short term but usually no more than a week or two. I used to give tons of them to patients for pain and usually had good results :)

• The toradol had worn off by this morning. I've been getting by on some motrin and the muscle relaxant. I have oxycodone, but for this type of pain, it's not really effective. I thought about taking a Lyrica with it tonight, but I'm not sure if they have interactions. I suppose I'll call the pharmacist tomorrow. All in all, the pain and the spasms are down very much. What a relief.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
This discussion has been closed.