Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

*New and advice needed!

trishttrish Posts: 2
edited 01/13/2013 - 7:57 AM in Lower Back Pain
My husband was born with Curvature of the spine,
he was offered surgery at the age of 10, this he declined.
over the years it hasnt caused him to much trouble, as he went into the army.... however as a chef in the army, he did (as u can imagine) lots of standing..

Now since turning about 40 (8 years ago) the pain has gotten worse after a major car crash... but nothing has really been done by the GP.. he was sent to Physio a few years back which i think helped for a while, but now its getting worse...

So now...{8 years later} He stands all day in his job {factory Supervisor) and as long as he keeps active, but if he lies down for to long, hes in agony and has started to get twitchy at night, as well as restleg leg syndrome.... I made him visit the DR and he has been told he has Muscle Spasms, and needs to be massaged daily to help this also a course of Naproxen.

I have recently broken my wrist so cant do it for about 4-6weeks, so not too sure what we will do,
Has anyone else got this and what have you been recommended?

thank you in advance for any info!
Trish xx

He is also awaiting new Physio

• Hi Trish. Massages can certainly help muscle issues but if your husbands spine condition was serious enough that surgery was considered as a child I would certainly if I was him be interested in how the dr knows its only muscle now. Has he had any sort of imaging? I presume at 10 he had some scoliosis so even an X-ray should indicate how that might be going. A CT or MRI would be a better idea though to see how the discs and nerevs are. Many spine issues comtinue to get worse as people get older. So I suggest some more Investigative action if physio and massage seem to be getting nowhere. Good luck
  • HI there. Yes, has he had any imaging of his back? Massages can help but they can also relax the core muscles in a way that actually is worse for a back already at risk. So agree, he needs to be sure he knows his condition before going down that path.

I think a phsyiatrist is a place to start because it's a doctor and trained PT team to deal with spines and they will be very careful to watch his progress (or regress) after each session. They will also stop if they think they are doing more harm than good and send him for images.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.