Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone not fully fused 1 yr post op ACDF? Please help

I had 1 level c5-c6 ACDF a year ago and NS just said xray shows black line/space above transplanted cadaver bone (below is all blurry and white showing fusion). She ordered a CT scan so they can see it better and because i am still in so much pain. Does this mean I will need the surgery again? Can you stay only partially fused with a cage/screws in there or is that too unstable?
Would it start fusing now at this point?
Please help, I know some of you had to have your surgeries again from hardward problems, but has anyone had this happen where just one side fuses and the other doesn't?
Thank you for any help.

• tamtamttamtam Posts: 2,749
    edited 01/15/2013 - 5:43 AM
    The hardware is plenty strong to hold you in place if you haven't fused so that is no worry at all. The fact at a year you haven't fused, doesn't mean you won't fuse. I know for myself, on my first surgery they checked at the 6 month mark and the surgeon seen something on the x-rays he didn't like and sent me for a CT scan which revealed psuedoarthrosis, not to be confused with a non-union. Once psuedo happens you won't fused. So I indeed did go through the revision surgery which is much harder to recover from than the Anterior surgery. But before we put the cart before the hoarse lets see what the CT scan says. Hopefully it is not psuedo and some more time will allow the fusion to take place.
  • thanks so much, i go for my ct scan today so hopefully it is just taking a while to fuse and isn't psuedoarthrosis.