Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Broken fusion screws

Hello all:
Within the last year I underwent surgery for spondylolthesis grade 2 between my l5 and s1. All in all it was a decompressive laminectomy with spinal fusion of the l4 to L5 and the l5 to s1. The surgery went well and I returned to a desk job at 7 and a half weeks post opt. The NS is a particular surgeon and I followed his instructions to a T. The orthopedic surgeon sent me to PT at 4 months post op because I was having trouble getting up from laying on my stomach. I told my body to go and it felt like a concrete block. Went in for my 6 month X-rays to find both pedicle screws at the S1 level are broken. Report says possible fusion and MRI showed no signs of infection. My thigh muscle never stops twitching and there is bilateral pain in my lumbar. My questions are has anyone had broken hardware left in them? Does anyone absolutely know why your screws broke? I'm taking a poll... Do you think I'm enroute to another surgery?

• I had a L5-S1 fusion in July of 2011 and was off for 6 months before returning to work. At first my pain levels were tolerable, but as time went on my back became progressively worse (pain-wise). The short version is that my surgeon told me that I had failed to fuse and recommended a revision surgery. I had that in August 2012 (just 13 months after the first surgery). Right after the surgery the doc told me that the head of one screw had sheared off and that 2 more screws had pretty much worked their way free from the bone. Ouch, indeed!
    Disability retirement
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I had broken screws in the cervical area that had to come out. One had to be left in because it had grown inside the fusion and the Dr couldnt get it out. I have no issues with the screw that is left in