Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Icy conditions causing a fall

My daughter fell over on some black ice this morning and hurt her neck and her knee.
She was sent home from work and came to spend the day with me.
I think she must have jolted her neck as she put out her arm to stop her fall.
It has gone into spasm and is very stiff and sore.

She sat in my chair, which is all set up with cushions etc.
I put ice on her neck and knee and she had some anti inflamatory tablets.
It gave me a real purpose to look after her.
She kept saying how now she had an idea of what I live with each day and how helpful the neck cushion and all the others were at getting her comfortable. She also said that she thought of me when she fell and of how that would have really hurt me and possibly caused a real problem with my newly operated on neck.

I am really sorry that she fell, but it has been wonderful to have one of my closest loved ones now understand what this feels like. As she got up to go, she could hardly move her neck and said that she felt just like me!

• KarenDKKarenD Posts: 742
    edited 01/16/2013 - 1:59 PM

It's unfortunate about your daughter's fall. Hopefully she'll heal soon. I understand what you're talking about with your daughter though. Unfortunately one of my daughters has fibromyalgia, and she understands about dealing with pain. It's tough to have her go through flare-ups, but she does understand when I am having tough times more than others in the family.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • susabellssusabell Posts: 238
    edited 01/19/2013 - 2:59 PM
    Jellyhall I hope she feels better soon! I have also had friends (I have no kids) who have woke up with a stiff neck and they all say the Same thing, how in the world do you live with day in and day out??? My reply is "It's my life and I do the best I can to be smart about how I go about my daily living activities" that's the best explanation I can offer. Some day's are Good and Some day's are Very Bad, usually there is No in between. I agree "No one can Understand Spine until you have Lived thru it First hand.

(((Gentle Hugs to All)))
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • she did no real damage. Maybe a day or so off her feet will make a difference.
    4 level ACDF completed on January 3rd.
    I developed an infection which required reopening the wound on January17th
    Looking forward to life without as much pain!
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 01/20/2013 - 10:49 AM
    As she has a 14 months old son and a 5 year old daughter, and her husband has had to go back to Paraguay for his mother's funeral, you can imagine that she is not able to rest her neck and knee as much as she should! However, they are improving although her neck is still rather stiff. On her knee, the bruise has come out now, and only hurts when she kneels on it.

Thanks for all the kind comments :-)
  • Hope you are doing well and are recovering nicely. How have you found your progress.

Oh and glad to hear your daughter is improving nicely... Lord knows how difficult it is trying to get anything done let alone recover when you have young children to wait on. Lol!

Hope you are doing well hon. Keep me posted.

Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• It is great to hear from you again. I haven't seen you on here lately. I hope that is because you are doing great and enjoying life, especially your little boy.

I am recovering well from my surgery 11 weeks ago. Unfortunately though, I still have my symptoms. I am back on Gabapentin and building up the dose to try to find a level that helps. My surgeon thinks there is still time to get relief of the symptoms. I hope he is correct.

I have found that I can't sing any more. I just can't control which note I sing. Especially the higher notes.

How are you doing now?