Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Right side neck/arm/shoulder pain and numbing of the face

This might sound weird, but does anybody with cervical issues have numbness in the face? I have several bulging (possibly herniated) disks and when a flare-up gets very bad the right side of my nose goes numb, right side of my jaw goes numb and I get a headache on the right side in addition to shooting pains going down the arm and the sensation of somebody sticking a knife in the right shoulder blade. Sounds like fun, eh?

I mentioned this to 2 orthopedic docs and they say that it is odd, and that it cannot be related to cervical spine issues.

I think they're full of you know what because it's never happened before I injured myself....

Anybody else get this?

• Hello loopster.What I do know is that the shooting pains down your arm can be identified as far as what area of the neck is causing it dependant on just what fingers are affected.I have had facial numbness before,but this was after cervical surgery,not before.
  • Hi Loopster, I too have had periods of facial numbness. I have spinal stenosis at C5-C6 level with mild central canal stenosis C3-C4 and moderate central canal stenosis C6-C7. Was diagnosed a little over 2 years ago. Origanally went to doctor because right side of body had a weird thick skin numb feeling from my lips down to my toes. That lasted about 3-4 months and little by little got better. But when I first went to the nuerologist and he discovered thru MRI what was going on he said the facial numbness wouldn't have anything to do with the cervical spinal stenosis. Which I thought was bull. Never had experienced anything like that before in my life. After going back after approx 2 months for a check up with him he said something different. That yes it can as the nerves go into the face as well. I think it all depends on what doctor you see. They all seem to have different opinions, and you are the one experiencing the symptoms. I experience on occasion weird pins and needles sensations out my big toes, fingers and quite a bit of neck head and upper back pain as well as the trademark pain down the back of my left arm. And still occasionally get a weird numbing feeling in my lips that doesnt seem to last very long but comes and goes. Personally I feel like sometimes doctors are too willing to listen only to text book symptoms. But we know our bodies, and when something isn't right. Sorry if I went on to long, hope it helps to hear my experience. Good luck, dealing with this stuff is not fun. : )
  • cathyccathy Posts: 29
    edited 01/25/2013 - 3:07 PM
    I have left facial numby feeling,center of upper lip and tongue tingling. I was offered anti depressants because they thought I was nuts! I told my husband that drs. Have no idea how a person is wired. Those nerves go every which way,lapping over each other. The text books tell them one thing but what they fail to realize is that a text book has no nerves and a human does.