Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A to Z. What works for your pain that is not a narcotic?

MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,567
edited 01/16/2013 - 1:35 PM in Chronic Pain
I know there are posts all over the board of what people use for their pain. My pain levels are higher then I ever thought possible (after a recent fall -again!). I thought it would be nice to have a go to list instead of having to dig through a lot of posts of what you use for pain relief that works for you - excluding narcotics :)

Today I tried

1. Celebrex (just got put back on
it to try for the winter/cold months)

2. Moist heating pad.

3. 17 lb dog laying on sore spots - hey don't lol I use him often. His weight is just right for applying pressure & I get his body heat ;)

4. I only bent over if I was forced to all day, bending over brings instant increase in pain levels.

5. I also tried something new with my meds. I got up took my pain meds and went back to bed for 45 minutes and watched "let's make a deal", hoping that by doing nothing for the first little bit would help - it didn't :(

6. I took a day off "life" and did as little as possible today - that did seem to keep the pain levels lower then my normal days.

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.

• Love your list item # 3. I find my 55lb dog is a great heating pad and can make a difference when my leg pain starts up.

I am fortunate and am approaching the 3 year mark after my 2nd surgery (had 2 within 5 months) and my pain levels are under control. I have my days where I am thankful I saved meds.

I'll share my list because I still use these:
    1. PT Stretches
    (I spent 3 months last year with a physiatrist and his team learning new stretches and exercises) if pain starts to go up, I start using them religiously daily. When my pain levels are down I do them a few times a week

2. Water, lots of it
    yes, gets me up and moving which is a big thing for me. If I sit too long I get lazy on posture and my pain starts to go up

3. Comfortable shoes
    As a female, I try to look nice but even low/no heels hurt if there is not cushioning in the shoe

4. Day "off" housework
    I can't always take a day off life but I have learned my house doesn't need to be cleaned as often, I don't always need to cook and it's okay to use paper plates sometimes so you can just throw them out. My house is little dustier but I say lived in.

5. time to smile
    I have decided playing with my dog, walking her, baking (even if I give the baked good away) and other things that I find pleasure in are important. I was so stressed for 2 years (injury, surgery, pain, unable to work out, general frustration) that I finally realized I had to find new outlets for stress.

6. I try to detect pain before it sets in too deep so I can take Advil or tylenol before things escalate

7. And yes, I do have a few narcotics left from my surgeries and when things get really bad, I take 1/2 pill to take the edge off so I can get some sleep and hope to 'reset' myself.

8. I did learn to tune out a lot of pain. I know this sounds absurd but I'm in my 40's. My big issues started at 40 but I had pains before that. One day I realized I was so IN TUNE with my pain that it was consuming me. So, I realized that I hurt before my surgeries from running or just getting older or whatever. So, I try very hard to ignore my regular aches/pains so that only the bad stuff bothers me. It's definitely a process (mental) to remind yourself of you pain levels. When I ache, I stop and think...is this my back or is this just leg pain like I used to get as a child or after a run or like walking up stairs when your knees hurt.

Not sure this helps because I'm finally having more normal days than I thought possible.
  • paininohioppaininohio Posts: 240
    edited 01/17/2013 - 3:33 AM
    I love the doggie heating pad idea. That is so cute. They probably know that your hurting and I'm sure they don't mind the cuddle time either. LOL. I wish I had one, unfortunately my hubby has severe allergies so animals aren't in our lives. I do feel like I'm definitely missing out though, because we always had dogs growing up, but i can't justify having one when it would make hubby so sick.

As for pain that's not a narcotic, when i feel bad, but not bad enough for a regular pain pill, I've tried those over the counter "migraine" pills. you know the ones that have aspirin, Tylenol, and caffeine? Those help sometimes.
  • MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,567
    edited 01/17/2013 - 4:57 PM
    I am going to try some of these ideas for sure! Thanks for sharing :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
This discussion has been closed.