Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

TLIF, L3/L4,L4/L5,L5S1

dandynanddandynan Posts: 2
edited 01/17/2013 - 9:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am scheduled for surgey 2-13, after having severe L leg/calf pain, numbness for the last 10 months.. After going to several doctors, and being refused anything for pain..I finally went to a Neurologist, never thinking it was related to my back. As a nurse, I feel kinda silly thinking it was my Hamstring, or sciatia..Never thought this was going on...Now I am totally freaked out, and have been reading about this procedure.. Have some questions: 1. For 3 vertebrea, how much of my hip will be needed? As I heard that is going to be very painful, in addition to surgery sight. My Neurosurgeon did a Discectomy of L4-L5..7 years ago, was successful..No further problems..til now..I trust him, he has a wonderful reputation.( Dr. ..xyz)..2., I'm concerned about infection in such to large surgical sight... 3. How much mobility will be lost? I hope someone has some sort of advice, or reassurance..i'm so scared..I'm only 45!!!I've got a lemon for a body! Lol. Thank you

Post edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team
Forum rules prohibit the naming of specific doctors.
Nancy J. Brewer-Pettit

• I'm not sure how much hip bone was taken though. The dr made it seem that he was taking what was needed to get through to the tailbone and then some of that tailbone. Whatever he took I haven't noticed. The first week was trying.... Painful and feeling helpless. But now I feel much better 2 weeks later. I do have back spasms so its difficult to sleep, but everyone has different experiences. Right now I'm just overwhelmed that I can walk again, standing straight with no limps.
    Lumbar DDD
    TLIF 1/2/13
  • Dandy

Hang in there! I know how scary this can all seem. I am 39 and just had a mutil level fusion of L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1 on Jan 7th. My NS did not use my bone so I can't speak for that. I can tell you tha the anticipation for me was far worse. I had pain control issues the first night but otherwise I am doing really well. I think the post op pain is totally ' managable. I am. 'Standing straight and walking well and have been able to cut down on pain meds a lot already.
    Try to have faith and ask your surgeon any questions you have. We are all here. For any support you might need. So far I have ' no regrets.