Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain increasing after lumber work. looking for anyone who can help

My story started 16 years ago. I had a graft banding operation on L4 L5 which was a success, allowing me to continue with my very active life.
Then in October 2010 i began having pain which incerased within a short period. Eventually, after tests and exploratry operation i had all the old metalwork removed, and instead of bands I had connecting rods used to fix the area properly. I also had L4 L5 Decompression, both laminectamy and discectamy, and fusion. After 10 weeks of recovery and hydro I began having leg pains (which became immobilising) along with continual chronic lumber pain. I returned to have more treatment and MRI/ CT scans on the regino showing a compressed nerve which was not seen on the scans prior to the operation. I agreed to have the next procedure done being nerve root block injections to L3 L4, which worked immediately on the leg pain but the high level of lumber pain remained as strong then as before the main operation.
3 days later the siatic pain had returned, worse than ever, so I was admitted again in November for Decompression of L3 L4. 2 weeks later I had about 2 weeks of 'soft' siatic pain but had 3 'shocks' in my left leg.
Today the leg pain seems to have subsided. We are now 8 weeks out of surgery, I have been doing regular hydro theraphy, slowly building up on the movement and and reps. However, and here is the worry, the chronic pain is still very much there. It is a radiating pain, level of about 6 on average but can be from 4 to 7-8. I the pain feels like an intense heat and covers a big area, from top of buttock to 1/2 way up the back. I have local pain at the operated are which feels like someone pushing a knuckle into my spine, which I could handle, but this chronic radiating pain can sometimes make me feel sick.
I had thought this could be muscle/ tissue damage, but the worry is it is the same as before the operation. I actually feel no further forwards right now.

Medication - daily Naproxen 500mg x2, Omeprazole x1 and Solphadol x8 (500mg codine 30mg paracetamol. Also 3x 30mg amatriptoline (1 am and 2 pm).

My question for you is this; Is this a 'common' pain to others for this sort of thing? if so, does it go away and when? could it be caused by something totally different to what I have been treated for?

I have studied this site in some detail, many of the symptoms are familiar and many names are given to such prelonged pain but most refer to the siatic pain as a result of the operation. I have had that and have had further surgery to get rid of it. My pain is a radiating chronic lumber to mid back pain which was there to start and is there still now, as strong as it ever was if not more so.

My surgeon has said that if I return for the followup meeting and I remain in pain then he has come to the end of the road for him. Further to the above questions I would be interested to know what to ask or suggest to him in order to try and explore ideas of what is going on.

I am at my wits end with it. I have been off work for 1 year now, I am 43 and the surgeon says I have the back of a 70 year old. I think I would be able to deal with it better if others have experience of this and / or advice. It may be a condition removed from the work I have had.

Thank you for taking the time to read my mail and I would really appreciate any comments, advice or help.

Adrian - UK

• I was given that end of the road speach as well. I can relate to the radiating chronic pain,mine usually goes from my hips up to my shoulder blades but is predominantly in the lumbar area.
    You described the pain perfectly,it does become nauseating, especially when you try to ignore it,of course that never works as you know. After being given the end of the road speech my surgeon referred to a physiatrist as he doesn't care for pain management,which is ok by me.
    I've just started to see this new doc so I really can't give you any pointers as of yet

I hope you find that majic bullet that were all looking for.

Best wishes