Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post op visit

Yepeee !! I'm starting to fuse !! I went Yesterday to my NS first visit since surgery on 12/4/12 on level c3/4 he was so excited when he saw the xrays!
So I dont go back until July for a 6 mo. visit. I still have the muscle spasms and I also hear the crunching noise from the plate when I turn my neck. I'm still taking pain meds but not near as much. Swallowing is nearly back to normal. I was getting a little concerned with that. I also still have some hoarsness but the Dr said it would go away.

• It sounds like you've made great progress. Just remember to listen to your body so you don't have a set-back.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Thanks KarenD !! Everyday get a little better !! I had a previous ACDF C5-7 in Oct. 2010. I didnt have nearly such issues that I have had with this one. However, my scar looks so much better than the first one.

• I've got two more weeks to go until I get to see my surgeon. My surgery was on Dec 23 and was a two level ACDF (sort of) since it went from C7 to T2 -- also, since my long, thin neck made the anterior procedure possible. Almost NO ONE blows out T1-2 so I stay on the cervical side since my first surgery last March was the Posterior Micro-discectomy at C7-T1. I had a very difficult recovery from the first surgery and was FINALLY feeling like I was getting my life back in September. I was riding my horse, golfing, starting to run and mostly pain free. Then on the Sunday following Thanksgiving I sneezed.... what a sneeze it was as I blew out an 8-9mm chunk of my T1-2 disc, right below the one I had surgery on last spring.

Right now, my biggest issues are horrible fatigue (which I guess keeps me from over-doing) and hoarseness. My voice goes from weak, but not bad to intermittently cutting out entirely and by evening it is hard to speak at all. I'm sure hoping that the hoarseness is temporary -- me without a voice? Inconceivable!!
  • That's great. I know when I went for my 6 week post op for my ACDF C3/4 C4/5 assessment, I was so relieved that I had started fusing. My next visit is on January 30th - a bit over 3 months. I am hoping it has continued to fuse.

My neck is sooo stiff, though. I have recently been taking off the Miami J Collar, and VERY slowly moving my neck to get some motion back into it! I have even had to go

Otherwise, I am doing well. Even driving here and there, as needed. Working from home and doing everything except lifting heavy things and exercising.

Great news!

10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • FrancineSFFFrancineSF Posts: 318
    edited 01/23/2013 - 4:30 PM
    I had my surgery done what is now three months ago.
    I had absolutely no pain from the surgery - not at my neck or anywhere (other than a heat rash from the gauze at the front of my throat) - but I did lose my voice - for 35-37 days. When I would speak, it was a mere whisper, actually, I was yelling and it was a mere whisper - barely.

Then, day 35-37, it all came back. What was ironic was that because I do speaking presentations, it was a big issue for me when discussing this with my surgeon. So, imagine his concern when I still didn't have my voice after the typical week or two post-surgery.

Thankfully, I was calm about it and sort of took a 'zen' approach - just noticing what it is to not have a voice, Everyone trying to communicate with me were frustrated because they were all relegated to texting and emails or just leaving me a voicemail. What was REALLY funny was to observe how the men in my life (really good friends) dealt with me being 'down for the count' for the first time they ever knew me. They could not handle it. And, not hearing my normal voice - they REALLY could not handle it. Such fragile flowers, :)

Thank goodness for email and texting, however! It did make a world of difference having that. I thought about people who had this situation years ago and couldn't text or email. I considered myself lucky.

I suspect it will all come back for you - and it appears each person's body responds differently.
    When I went into see my surgeon with a full voice at 6 weeks, the relief on his face was so very noticable. He told me that 35-37 days was definitely a record. I told him he should never play poker because I could see the look of concern on his face initially and the relief now. hahaha

Good luck to you!
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion