Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Surgery Complications

Hello everyone, I am new to the site but am curious to see if anyone else has had a similar issue. In January of 2011 I slipped and fell at work herniating my L5 L6 (I have an extra vertebrae). My neurologist at the time did not want me tho have surgery because I'm so young. So I did pt for months but really had no changes. I had horrible pain every day and pain meds were no longer helping.In early November of this year I went to a new pt where we tried lumbar traction. Half way through the process I went numb and experienced horrible pain. I was admitted to the hospital November 13th where they took another MRI that showed the disc had slid and was compressing the nerve roots for my left leg and I had drop foot. We then decided at the age of 22 that I needed a microdisectomy asap so I had surgery the 16th. When I came out of surgery I was unable to urinate on my own. I also wasn't able to have a bowl movement or walk. They pretty much brushed it off as being a narcotic bowl and bladder I was sent to acute rehab where I only stayed for two day ts and was sent back to the hospital dye to an illius and an impaction. At this point we did another MRI and it showed a seroma had formed where I had the surgery. But Bering last the hospital where the surgery had taken place at they said I was fine but I wanted a second opinion where I was transferred to Jefferson in Philadelphia. I went through intensive tests but they all showed that the nerves were firing properly so they sent me tho Magee for rehab with a Foley catheter still in and depending on an enema nightly to have a bowl movement. I stayed at rehab for a month.at rehab I had bladder tests done that showed it doesn't contract. The paralysis in the legs has improved and I can ambulate with arm crutches. I left rehab last week and will be starting outpatient therapy to continue with the walking. I still depend on the enema every night and catch myself through out the day. My mom is a spinal cord nurse and she feels that if we would drain the seroma then I'd improve but no doctors want to touch me. So I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced something like thus or if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!


  • Welcome to Spine Health! :-)
    I am so sorry for all the problems you have had since your surgery. I really hope that with time will come healing of your nerves and that your problems will resolve.

    I haven't had problems like yours, but I wanted to give you a warm welcome to this site.
    It is a great place for support and information.
Sign In or Register to comment.