Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

facet joint

hello, i injured my facet joint around t9 back in april 2012 doing a squat with bad form in the gym. i'm an avid weight lifter and unfortunately after doing the injury i continued lifting (i avoided squats) In the last few months my pain is much worse in the morning, my left erector spinae is exceptionally tender and tight. I have gone to a couple of physio sessions in the last few weeks and for the last 2 weeks i haven't lifted weights at all. The doc has prescribed me naproxen. Twisting around to the right is painful and hurts down my left erector spinae. The muscle pain is quite deep down and when the phyio was working on it had to push extremely hard to get down to the injured muscle. I am using heat as much as possible. Using a foam roller seems to aggravate the injury a lot, if i use the foam roller one day, the next day i wake up with the muscle hurting significantly more. I am doing some light rotational type stretches 3 times per day. Nothing appears to be fixing it and the lack of gym is making me miserable, any help would be appreciated.

• Its possible theres more to your injury. Its also possible that you haven't given time for your injury to heal. Continuing to lift weights could have caused an accute problem to become chronic. Have you had ultrasonic treatment? The physical therapist ive been to uses it to do heat therapy. There are many different treatments for facet pain. Ive had nerve bundle block and if it stops working they can do a rhizotomy.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • jon123jjon123 Posts: 46
    edited 02/07/2013 - 7:00 AM
    well i'm going to be having an mri in a few weeks so that should help diagnose it, yeah i've had some ultrasound treatment, also had some accupuncture, they think its a facet joint sprain or potentially an annular tear.
  • davrunnerddavrunner Posts: 478
    edited 02/07/2013 - 7:23 AM
    Sometimes the MRI will show multiple issues and it's not easy to tell where the pain is coming from. The can do diffent blocks to issolate the cause and hopefully provide a treatment that will give you some relief if not fix the problem.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • im hoping for a permanent fix rather than a temporary masking of the symptoms (i know its not always that easy) thanks for the help thus far, does anyone have any stretches that have helped them for a t10 facet sprain or annular tear?
  • Hello, I have an almost identical injury also caused in the gym. I have had this issue for over a year and also have the t8 and t9 disc herniation you mention in another post. I am not sure if you have heard of this but in addition to this I have multiple ribs (t4,t5 T9 and T10) that slip out of place. In my experience deep muscle massage did not help and only irritated the inflamed areas. Heat also helped temporarily but aggravated the inflammation and made the pain worse when the heat was removed. Ice was a better option. Have you seen a chiropractor? I know there are mixed views on this type of treatment however seeing a chiropractor regularly has made the difference between functional and not functional for me. As far as stretches, I find that rowing type movements and any other stretch opens the chest muscles are the best options and most helpful. In my case ANYTHING that brings my arms, especially while holding weight above my head comes with great consequence. I am having a facet joint injection in two weeks and cannot wait to see if it helps!

Your posts have really caught my attention as the issue we are both sharing is not common and seems to very rarely be discussed. Please let me know if you come across any magical cure!
This discussion has been closed.