Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Considering fusion for C6-7 herniated disc

Hi everyone,

I am a 26 year old male. Two and a half years ago I got into a bicycle accident. I suffered a herniated disc at C6-7. I initially had numbness and tingling in my neck and upper arm. Since the accident I have undergone acupuncture, massage therapy, physical therapy, chiropractic therapy, epidural injections, osteopathic manipulation, trigger point injections, and medications. The arm pain, numbness and tingling have all left but I now have neck pain that won't resolve. My pain is worsened by activity including walking. I am considering undergoing fusion (ACDF) at C6-7 to resolve my symptoms. The pain is just interrupting my life too much and I want to get it fixed. I have a few questions that I would like to ask:

1. Has anyone had success with fusion relieving neck pain? I have heard that the surgery is most successful in treating patients with arm pain.

2. Has anyone undergone artificial disc replacement for a cervical herniated disc? I have been told that I am a candidate for the surgery because of my young age and single level herniation. I am concerned, though, about the short history of the surgery and potential to leave the neck unstable. I've been told that the fusion is more stable than the artificial disc. Does anyone know much about the artificial disc surgery and would you be willing to talk to me about the estimated prognosis and outcome?

3. Fusion has the risk of causing disc degeneration in other discs because of altered stress created by the fusion. How has everyone done with fusion 5, 10, 20 years down the road? Has anyone needed surgery again? Are there good chances that pain totally resolves with fusion and no surgery is needed down the road?

• bosna_sabbosna_sa Posts: 1
    edited 01/23/2013 - 12:53 PM
    Hey Grizle,
    Your situation almost sounds exactly like mine except mine has been going on for like 4 months. I've originally had numbness and tingling in my right arm for like 2 months then that went away but the neck nagging pain has been going on for the last 2 months in addition to my right shoulder blade hurting too. I am hoping this nagging 1-2 pain ultimately goes away. My neurosurgent said I need a surgery but honestly I have faith that this will recover without it. The part that scares me about surgery is that they say that there is a high chance that your pain could be even worse after the surgery.
  • When my neck issues started 20 some years ago a neurosurgeon recommended using a traction device that hangs on a door. You put your head in a harness then apply traction with a spring or weight. I would do this for 30 minutes several times a day in the beginning. Surprisingly it really helped and I used the device up until 6-8 months ago when it stopped being effective. I could go years between treatment sessions sometimes.

My discs (C4 - C7) had shrunk over the years and started causing problems. There were other issues such as arthritic growths.

If you haven't tried this the devices are available on Amazon or at local medical equipment stores. The last one I had used a spring for tension and cost about $60 dollars.

Good luck.

US Army Retired
    Olympia WA