Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thoracic Spine Issues - T7 Compression/Burst Fracture

Hello, I am completely new to these types of forums. I have come to wits ends and could really use some assistance with my issues.

On November 20,2011 I was involved in a motor vehicle accident and suffered a T7 burst fracture. I was put in the hospital and had surgery to fuse T6, T7, and T8 together. This was all done surgically through my spine. The surgeon did not straighten my spine during the surgery, the hardware installed was formed to fit the wedge shape of my spine. After the surgery and after release from the surgeon I was having pain issues with sensitivity on anything that touched my back, I had alot of rib pain, and was overall uncomfortable. I saw a pain management dr. and he sent me to a surgeon at another facility and he offered to remove the hardware as you could feel the screws in my spine ( I am rather thin).

He removed the hardware and it did make some difference in the sensitivity levels of touching my back. Currently, I am still having alot of rib pain, I have a knot on my surgical scar (upon MRI results, I was told I have a piece of hardware that wasn't taken out or forgotten). I feel like I am going to break in half when doing anything. I cannot find a comfortable way to sit anymore. I believe the MRI shows that the spinal cord is laying against the wedged part of my spine which could be why I have other issues.

The surgeon who removed the hardware said that I would not be able to find a surgeon who would touch my spine due to the complexity of the operation that I would encounter. For some reason, deep down in my gut, I find this hard to believe. I don't have the money to continue to try and locate a doctor that will even listen to all I have and am still going through. Let alone find a surgeon that will take my case and consider trying to correct my problem.

Would anyone / anywhere have any suggestions, or know of anyone that may be willing to help me with my situation. And just to be clear on my money issues, I did not receive anything from the auto accident other than having some of my medical bills paid for, which was a tremendous help. I just don't have the resources to keep jumping from dr to dr to try and find the right one to really help "fix" me, or to at least get me to a point where I can function a little normally.

Thank you all for reading this, I just would like some help with my pain. I take pain medications, but nothing really gets me under a 7 on the pain scale

• Hi, I had thoracic surgery Nov. 6th with fusion and hardware on T6-T7 for a large central herniated disc. My surgeon did not have any issues working in this area. You can pm me if you want his name. Also maybe ask some others on here that have had thoracic surgery who they used and if they would recommend them. There are surgeons that will work in this area.
    I sympathize with you, this is a rough area to have surgery. I'm doing pretty well at 11 weeks post op but it certainly has not been easy.
  • The surgeon that left hardware he/she was supposed to remove in you is giving you advice. That should speak for itself. As paulayono stated, there are Neurosurgeons that will work in that area. Fellowship trained seems to be something his/her resume should have listed. In larger cities, there's always the go to guy that takes the difficult cases. I am fused T2-T8 and it hurts every day. Most of the pain comes from both ends of the fused segment. Some activities hurt the top, some the bottom but both result in horrible nerve pain that if left untreated, eventually wraps around my rib cage. Neurontin virtually eliminates the rib cage pain for me. It takes some getting used to but at least is non-habituating. You are more than welcome to PM me for my surgeons name. However, I am not so sure there is ever a full recovery after being injured the way we are. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

• I had a compression fracture at T-6. I had kyphoplasty in August and still have a lot of pain. It hurts not only in my back, but in the front of my ribcage and chest. It hurts to take a deep breath. thinking about having epidural injection as I am running out of options. Physical therapy was only painful. I try to exercise and stretch but still hurt everyday. Thoughts anyone?